Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in high school and the bug-eye and blob eyes wrx's are my favorite cars. How reliable would they be for a first car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi! I’m in high school as well and I recently bought a 2003 WRX. I payed $2,500 for mine, so It has a lot of issues from the previous owner; so I can’t tell you personally how reliable they are. However, from what I’ve heard, the 5 speed manual isn’t very strong. This may not be a massive problem if you are keeping the car stock, but if you intend to add more power then the 5 speed may become an issue. Mine is a 4 speed auto, and I have no complaints. It won’t offer the same sensation as a manual, but I haven’t heard nearly as many complaints about the 4 speed’s strength.

In terms of power, the 2 liter isn’t half bad. Depending on what you have driven before, it may seem surprisingly fast, or kind of slow. My biggest complaint is how long it takes to spool. A stock bugeye is usually full boost a little after 3k rpms, and trust me... you’ll be getting gapped by anything before 3k.

From what I have noticed so far; parts aren’t terribly priced for these cars.

I’ve had a lot of fun with my bugeye, and I think you have great taste in cars!

I hope some of this may have helped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. I plan on keeping the car stock as I want something fun and something to get me to school.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts