Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter Tire Setup Advice needed!

Thinking about going with- 17X7 +55 Offset MB Motoring Twist Gun Metal Wheels 225/50R17 Nitto NT-SN2, 225/50R17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Falken Winter EuroWinter HS449 225/50R17 (all close to 26" OD) Any issues with running a slightly larger OD tire? (original Dunlop's are 25.7 I believe) Any tire love for anything but the Blizzaks. They would be the most expensive and I have seen some good reviews on both the Nitto and the Falken, so what do you all think? 17X7 +55 Offset MB Motoring Twist Gun Metal Wheels

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Ive got nothing but love for blizzacks. They are some of the most comfortable and reliable winter tires on the market.

If you run a bigger OD your speedo will be off by a direct function of the difference in OD. not that it would matter if your being safe and taking it slowly in the snow anyway : )

As far as those wheels I would stick with steelies rather than painted alloy wheels for winter salts. If you do end up with those twisted metals You might want to think about hitting them with some rubber dip paint just to give them some extra protection from winter salts.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
michelin x-ice are good.
if you live in canada, canadian tire branded winter tires are really good for the price.
and yes of course blizzaks.
i currently use blizzaks only because they came with the car when i bought it. will probably go back to the cheap canadian tire brand as they work fine.
as long as youre using a specified winter then you will be fine. winter tires use a different composition of rubber so its better for ice/winter/wet/slush situations.

sorry but i have no experience on any other winter tire. but all of those 3 hold up to the harsh canadian winters

·
Premium Member
6,794 Posts
I don't know where you live, that's central to this conversation. I live in PA, we get snow but it's not exactly Canada. I mostly use winters because this is not anywhere near a climate where you can get away with summers year-round and I am not willing to suffer through an all season tire in the summer (not by any means). All that said, I wanted pretty much the highest performance I could get out of a winter tire:
245/45R17 Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3.

Stock height, stock width, I'll run stock pressures, with stock offset wheels (06 STi wheels). Lots of grip, decent enough in bad weather.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
i'll +1 pirelli. never used the winter tires but a huge fan of thier summers. they know tires so i assume thier winters would be awesome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lets revive this thread...

I have a 2020 WRX and I'm currently shopping for a winter wheel/tire package. Is anyone running Dorman 939-108 17x7.5 steelies? I'm leaning toward those with Michelin X-ice Xi3 225/50r17. This setup would increase profile for better pothole tolerance while maintaining nearly the same overall diameter, which is exactly what I want. I'm not too concerned about sporty handling in a winter tire, I want max traction and braking capability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts