Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of adding cams and other internals to the Parts Guide soon... just trying to gauge how many people actually have them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Probably not many. There are very few available right now. The only one that comes to mind is the regrind set from Cobb that runs up to about $800. :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
sounds good, hey i was thinking, maybe u could add a section for the all the packages (power and suspension) that are out there. i know cobb and vishnu and turboxs have power, and whiteline and cusco have suspension.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Ludachris said:
I'm thinking of adding cams and other internals to the Parts Guide soon... just trying to gauge how many people actually have them.

I am looking into doing a full internal upgrade this summer...what kinda deals can ya swing

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nick4592 said:
I am looking into doing a full internal upgrade this summer...what kinda deals can ya swing
:confused: What do you mean? We're not a retailer so I couldn't really offer much in the way of discounts.

Now that there's more on the market I'll really have to start adding it to the catalog.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yeah Cosworth and Crawford make great internals....I went with Crawford Pistons and Cusco Bearings....but stayed with stock WRX cams

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Kelford also make Subaru cams, that's what I am running..

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
if lilshoaf will run it its gotta be good right? what happened to your car man whats up with the signature?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
what else do you have to do when installing cams? i know you cant just swap them out can you? do you have to do anything with timing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
cams!!! THE PRICE OF CAMS is not that bad but the cost of install is close to $2000 that is just crazy, and for the power you gain about 20whp is not worth the cost at all, use the 3 grand and get a turbo and a new tmic and get up to 100whp depending the turbo and what the boost is set to!

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
No one here is contemplating camshafts with the stock turbo, all of these people are pretty far along on the mod path...and $2000 for labor is robbery, go to a different shop, or do it yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 4eat/20g/2.5litre with ported heads and Crower Stage II cams made ~30whp less than my tuner's STi with a Green and stock heads/cams. My car was tuned in 2nd without locking the converter, his was in the traditional 4th/5th gear.

The estimate of how much power the torque converter eats up varies between 20whp and 50whp.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Cams is one of the last thing most consider due to the money-power ratio.Definatly not one of the best bangs for the buck.I would probably want ported/polished heads and a valve job to get the most out of a cam swap.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
But here is the thing.. The issue with Cams is the same that I've been saying over and over again.. IT's not about Peak numbers.. Cams along with P&P will definitly fatten up your power band which is MUCH better then peak numbers.. Coupled with a decent Turbo like a 20G will definitly make a difference...

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
But here is the thing.. The issue with Cams is the same that I've been saying over and over again.. IT's not about Peak numbers.. Cams along with P&P will definitly fatten up your power band which is MUCH better then peak numbers.. Coupled with a decent Turbo like a 20G will definitly make a difference...
I agree but equal length headers can produce the same results for MUCH less $$ and can easilly be a first mod that most people can install on their own where cams can't be justified untill alittle later down the road plus it's one of the more difficult installations.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts