Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've actually seen a couple 2.5rs' on the road before, and they look like the same thing as a WRX. but i guess they have the 2.5 EJ? And i've seen them with no hood scoops!? Why is that, are they even turbo?:confused: are they the really base model WRX? i don't know anything about the 2.5rs and i would like to learn all i can about the WRX platform so if you know anything about the 2.5rs i would sure appreciate it if you helped me out. Thanks! :cool: :rocks:

·
Registered
996 Posts
rs = 2.5L NA
wrx (2002-2005) = 2.0L turbo
wrx (2006+) = 2.5L turbo

the hood scoop feeds a top mount intercooler. since the rs isn't turbocharged, it doesn't need an intercooler, so therefore it doesn't need a hood scoop.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 2.5rs is kinda like the little brother to the WRX and STi. The 2.5rs is non-turbo,the guage cluster is different, no hood scoop since there is no TMIC, regular brake calipers (not the 4 Piston calipers that come on the WRX), and a different set of alloy wheel options from the factory. Also, usually depending on your location, the Rear Deck Spoiler is NOT an option to remove on the 2.5rs/WRX unless you purchase the "Tuner" model WRX that comes with no spoiler, fog lights or moonroof. Now, this was totally written on the assumption that you are talking about a new 2007 model. I personally think that the 08model is an abomination to the WRX family, but hey, every family has a black sheep.
Anyone please feel free to correct my explanation...but thats my 2 pennies

!Thumbs Up

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks guys. i've been wondering about this for a while haha. yeah i personally hate the newest additon to the WRX lineup too... The wagon at least, the Sedan is OK maybe a 5 out of 10. Wagon is like a 2 out of 10... They should have left the 2.5rs with a turbo! then it would be sweeeet! well now i know why my friend said he almost beat a 2.5rs in his stock 240sx SOHC... but we all know he was lying to us anyway. He won't even race our other friend's Honda Del Sol SI automatic... that dude's a b!tch... but yeah sorry 2 get off topic there lol thanks again for the info on the 2.5rs

·
Registered
80 Posts
yeah, my friend Adam has a 99 2.5rs and it will fly. Now, granted...its no WRX and that was from his mouth not mine, but you can totally swap for STi power if your made of money. straight up man, if you are torn between the 2.5rs and WRX, the extra that you spend on the WRX (if it is in reason) is totally worth it....every penny. I started with Honda Civic, then a Scion tC, and I traded that turd in on my WRX and i've never looked back.

·
Registered
80 Posts
yeah i personally hate the newest additon to the WRX lineup too... The wagon at least, the Sedan is OK maybe a 5 out of 10. Wagon is like a 2 out of 10... They should have left the 2.5rs with a turbo! then it would be sweeeet!
lol, I pass a Subaru dealership everyday going to and from work, and they have the new Impreza's on the front line and i just wanna vomit every time I go by. I stopped in one day as I was on my lunch break and asked to "look over" the new WRX sedan and wagon, and I didnt even make it through the sedan and was just overcome by how horrible and closley related the front end was to a Chrysler Pacifica....anyone else notice that?

!Thumbs Up

·
Registered
293 Posts
you cant just get an rs and get all the power a wrx has either the compression is different, I belive the tranny and a dude I know put a turbo kit on one and it went boom

·
Registered
80 Posts
no one said that you can get WRX power out of an rs. I said you can SWAP an STi Motor and Tranny and get power that way because the engine mounts are the same and its as simple as tuck and roll to make that a reality if you have some serious money as was previously stated in above rant

!Thumbs Up

·
Registered
378 Posts
New Rexs are ugly. The designer should be shot! Alot of people that put turbo on their cars blow their engines. A 2.5RS Subie isnt made for turbo, otherwise it would be a WRX. Or maybe a WRS? Anyways they lack the power of the regular rex and this was back when I had a 2.0L non turbo Eclipse racing it. (140 hp isnt very much) Dont know what kinda power the RS throws down, but it was the fastest car among my friends for awhile.

·
Premium Member
6,460 Posts
I had convinced several people that I had an RS with the WRX wheels and hood before, lol. If you want an RS, get a 99, can be made fast for cheap. Biggest part is the engine swap. But yeah the RS is the baby of the Impreza family.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the rs is a nice DD. i have a 00 2.5 and its not fast but its fairly quick. i prety much "trade" it to use as the dd so i don't put too many miles on the STI. as far as the difference

rs= na
wrx= turbo

belive it or not many of the part from the wrxand sti bolt up to the rs. and you drop a swap in one of em its gonna be a fast car, planning on doing mine in febuary.:p

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1 on the 99 RS...old school and tough looking. Sneak up on them by doing the engine swap and leave the RS badges.

BTW...the 07 WRX can be had without the spoiler, without going to the TR. I have an 07...no spoiler, no sunroof, but all the other goodies...I just had to convince the dealer to look around for me. They drove it 125 miles, but it was worth it!:D

·
Registered
378 Posts
+1 on the 99 RS...old school and tough looking. Sneak up on them by doing the engine swap and leave the RS badges.

BTW...the 07 WRX can be had without the spoiler, without going to the TR. I have an 07...no spoiler, no sunroof, but all the other goodies...I just had to convince the dealer to look around for me. They drove it 125 miles, but it was worth it!:D
Why wouldnt you want a sunroof? I know the spoiler isnt for everyone (I personally think it makes the car)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Sunroofs on a WRX... Dunno. If subaru does as good a job on it's sunroofs as it does on the rest of the car, then it would be nice..... If it's anything like my old 2000 Eclipse, then it would be worthless...leaks all over the place.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sunroofs on a WRX... Dunno. If subaru does as good a job on it's sunroofs as it does on the rest of the car, then it would be nice..... If it's anything like my old 2000 Eclipse, then it would be worthless...leaks all over the place.

No holes on the roof = more rigid car!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Woohoo! Im selling my 06 TR for a 99 RS! Im dropping a SL3i, a PPG 5 speed, Drummond 40s, Kaaz Diffs, scca spec roll cage, seam weld, so on. Im building it this summer! I have my wrx payed off so i will put the rest of the cash into the build. + a lil more ha

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 2.5rs is kinda like the little brother to the WRX and STi. The 2.5rs is non-turbo,the guage cluster is different, no hood scoop since there is no TMIC, regular brake calipers (not the 4 Piston calipers that come on the WRX), and a different set of alloy wheel options from the factory. Also, usually depending on your location, the Rear Deck Spoiler is NOT an option to remove on the 2.5rs/WRX unless you purchase the "Tuner" model WRX that comes with no spoiler, fog lights or moonroof. Now, this was totally written on the assumption that you are talking about a new 2007 model. I personally think that the 08model is an abomination to the WRX family, but hey, every family has a black sheep.
Anyone please feel free to correct my explanation...but thats my 2 pennies

!Thumbs Up
actually my 07 TR came with a wing factory, all the TR's we had on the lot for 07 also had wings

·
Registered
80 Posts
well, you can order it from the factory as an accessory, but when you allocate your cars from Subaru or at least from South East Subaru Distribution, the TR does not have a spoiler. I've only worked at Honda and Toyota dealerships, but every TR i've seen from the factory didnt have one installed

!Thumbs Up

1 - 20 of 30 Posts