Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil filter should I use on my 06 wrx tr? It's getting to be that time for the first oil change but I'm not sure if I should go with a factory oil filter or aftermarket. I did some searching and it seems like a couple years ago the factory filters were supplied by purolator and people were saying just to buy purolator rather than the factory filter since they were the same. Is that still the case today? Just wondering if I should pick up a filter from the dealer when I go pick up my car cover. Thanks

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I use aftermarket, but the oem Subaru filter is not bad.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Purolator Pure One.Great filtration and has the correct bypass psi for Subaru (18psi).Most other filters are set to 9-11psi.The bypass allows unfilterted oil to pass around the filter:eek:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I like the K&N. You can never have it stuck on the car snce it has a nice bolt on the end to remove it with. Very handy feature.

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
mxboy15u said:
I use FRAM. Or wal-mart brand.
You might one day regret that. Buy an extra one and hack saw it open and you'll see why.

I go with either the real Subaru filter or a Wix (Napa Gold is the same).

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Fram works just fine. I have cut them apart, its a oil filter. It has a bypass valve, filter media, and thats about it. I know it uses the black gasket instead of the red, but our filters are downward facing, so that does not matter at all. In racing on big dollar engines they are used almost universally. For some reason people have given them a bad name, but based on what facts? Their single and multi-pass efficiancy is plenty high.

·
Registered
708 Posts
It seems that some people look into some things way too much. Having the knowledge of what racing teams use and all that is great for people that actually race their cars. But some things, like oil filter choice, just doesn't need to be over-analyzed when people don't drive their cars that hard. I'm not saying having a decent one isn't important, but it's not like using a Fram instead of a Puralator will have detrimental effects on your engine.

If you check and change your oil regularly, and use good oil, you'll be fine. If your spending a weekend at the track, then go all out.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
mxboy15u said:
Fram works just fine. I have cut them apart, its a oil filter. It has a bypass valve, filter media, and thats about it. I know it uses the black gasket instead of the red, but our filters are downward facing, so that does not matter at all. In racing on big dollar engines they are used almost universally. For some reason people have given them a bad name, but based on what facts?
Your facts are in here: www.bobistheoilguy.com

The Supertech(Walmart) is probably alittle better than the Fram but nowhere near as good as the Purolator or Wix.Plus the Fram for the Subaru has the incorrect bypass psi setting.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Bah, Fram is shit. I can say it from personal experience. When I bought my Talon it had a new engine in it from the previous owner using that filter. The seal ring failed and the engine failed due to the oil loss.

He gave me a 1 1/2 inch thick folder with all of the car's service history, the new engine reciept had all of the info from the trashed engine. This info was in it.

To this day I won't use them. I'm aware that it could've not been properly installed, but I'll take my chances and use something else.

Fram sucks period.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
9d2TSi said:
Bah, Fram is shit. I can say it from personal experience. When I bought my Talon it had a new engine in it from the pervious owner using that filter. The seal ring failed and the engine failed due to the oil loss.

He gave me a 1 1/2 inch thick folder with all of the car's service history, the new engine reciept had all of the info from the trashed engine. This info was in it.

To this day I won't use them. I'm aware that it could've not been properly installed, but I'll take my chances and use something else.

Fram sucks period.
Great, I just did an oil change and used a fram filter. I used the double guard, is this different than the regular fram, I compared the two and the double guard was like 3 inches longer

·
Registered
128 Posts
I only use the OEM filters on my STi. Purolator Pure One are decent filters also as people already mentioned.

Fram is shit.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
If anyone cares, I use K&N HP 1008. I've used them for over 4 years now without any problems ever. Plus, they have a 1' nut on the end to help with removal. The only thing that sucks about them is price, they're like $10.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've always used OEM. Plus, the parts guy at my dealer ship gives me a new drain plug gasket every time I buy a filter. Probably not absolutely necessary but gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
rex-ya said:
I've always used OEM. Plus, the parts guy at my dealer ship gives me a new drain plug gasket every time I buy a filter. Probably not absolutely necessary but gives me peace of mind.
That's awesome. !Thumbs Up

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
I don't use Fram because when compairing them to better oil filters, you can physically see the difference. Glued together by cardboard and whatnot. Also, Jerry our parts guy at the dealership was telling me when a lady brought in a KIA with it's engine seized... apparently the FRAM filter collapsed on itself.

Also, K&N's are alright, but they're way too expensive. The quality of a Wix filter is still better than the K&N (don't get me wrong, both do their job). I've posted photos in the past of the two disassembled. Bonus that the Wix is almost half the cost.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Vew said:
I don't use Fram because when compairing them to better oil filters, you can physically see the difference. Glued together by cardboard and whatnot. Also, Jerry our parts guy at the dealership was telling me when a lady brought in a KIA with it's engine seized... apparently the FRAM filter collapsed on itself.
Never heard of a Fram doing that before!;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts