Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the people who are only running a cat back and some form of intake (stock airbox mod is what I got), what kind of times are you looking at. My best stands at 13.817 @ 96.34 w/14.5lbs. Just wondering:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
By best time with a cat-back, uppie, and Joe-P set to 15psi was 13.5 @100mph on 93 octane. Looks like you have a good time there.

-Fess

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ludachris said:
Is that just pump gas? What octane? And do you plan on trying race gas?
Pump gas, we only got 91 here in hawaii and I was thinking about race gas but may just end up using toulene that I got from a friend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fastsubie said:
By best time with a cat-back, uppie, and Joe-P set to 15psi was 13.5 @100mph on 93 octane. Looks like you have a good time there.

-Fess
Whoa! 93 makes that much of a difference! What were you launching at?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I launch at 5k with a little slip to get her rolling then I gently lift my foot up of the clutch. I do have an uppie and a MBC too. I doubt 93 vs 91 is gonna make any more power. Just helps with dentination..

-Fess

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
93 tsi said:
hey Push2 what other mods do u have cause thats a good E.T

At the time all I had was cat back, electronic boost controller and a gutted out stock intake box with K&N filter.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ralph,

You rock! I'm on your tail, though. A tenth. Of course I've only gotten 13.9 once and then the Saturday was only able to get down to 14.0 out of about 8 tries. Ha. I suck.

Pat

·
Registered
22 Posts
Let me chime in and make a suggestion....if you're running on a hot day (not us in the midwest anymore :rolleyes: ) try going down on the octane a little. The car will run hella rich on a hot day, and the lower ocatane will lean it out a little more...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TWS said:
Let me chime in and make a suggestion....if you're running on a hot day (not us in the midwest anymore :rolleyes: ) try going down on the octane a little. The car will run hella rich on a hot day, and the lower ocatane will lean it out a little more...
Care to elaborate. How low of an octane. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
TWS said:
Octane has nothing to do with lean and rich. Octane means the burn rate of the fuel. 93 octane is less volatile than 87 so it takes more to burn it. That is why you never want to run more octane than what your car really needs. if you are running 87 w/ no detonation then you put 93 in your car you will actually go slower because the fuel is not burning as quickly as the 87. Your car actually runs better on a cool day because the air is more dense and you are actually getting more oxygen in you motor w/ same amount of air requiring to burn more fuel to make more horsepower. That is why in the old carb setups racers had to richen their cars up on cold days and lean them on hotter days because of the density of the air. I believe that subaru recommends 91 or better fuel in their cars and that is becuase on 87 i will detonate and lead to engine damage or if it has a knock sensor it will actually either pull out timing (on naturally aspirated cars, on turbo cars might actually pull out boost, i dont know) which in turn makes the car run like CRAP... Actually hot air (hot days like 100 degrees) can lead to detonation because it is raising the cylinder temperature which can also lead to detonation and poor performance so going down on octane would make it run worse. It all depends on what the motor needs, but if you running high boost i recommend you play it safe and run the highest octane at the pump at least.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts