Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my TurboXs UTEC for a really fair price 3days ago and i want to know everything about it and should I install it or should I let a professional do it...(my car is stock) I need help because I dont want to mess my car up and after I install it start having problems with it, check engine lights, etc... !Thumbs Up !Thumbs Up
I am really looking foward to it .... thanks

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Depends on your skill level. If you feel confident and can follow directions do it yourself. It is not all that difficult. If you follow the directions you should not have any problems.

You really can't hook it up wrong. Go to turboxs.com and take a look at the install/user manual.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
First thing you should do... READ THE MANUAL!

Second thing you should do... READ THE MANUAL!

Third, if you still need help, let me know. I have installed and tuned more than I can count. It's not that hard to do, but you do need to READ THE MANUAL. I don't help anyone any more until they do it. There is a lot of good information in there, and it's all spelled out very clearly.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
WRXtuners-Sponsored Driver
3,488 Posts
Definately don't pay anybody to install it. Easy 10 minute job. Run the base map first and then once you begin to learn more about the UTEC (By reading the manual), then you can adjust things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
version??

As I know, earlier versions of UTEC are not compatible with 04 or 05. Make sure you have the right version for your car.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Do it yourself. Read the manual first. It is NOT a 10 minute job but it is NOT difficult. I had way too many questions but I still got mine in without problem.

RN

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I red over the manual and it's seems ok if you follow instructions... I still have a few questions :confused: :confused: ... do I have to remove the stock ECU ??? how is it better to program it, istalled in the car with a laptop or should I connect it to a 9v battery and do it from my PC ??? what are the things that I need to program ???
If you guys could give me a quick steps follow up by order and explain what do I need to program into the UTEC I will really appreciate it. THANKS a lot !Thumbs Up !Thumbs Up

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
You have to remove it because you need to attach the UTEC to it. But, you still use the factory ECU.

I prefer to put it in the car and use a laptop to program/tune it, but you can use a desktop if you need to. You will have to load whatever map(s) you want to run.

After that you can start your car and go. If it runs fine, you don't have to do anything. You will probably have to set the boost map to suit you however. Their stock maps are really conservative.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My favorite part of the UTEC manual is where it says something like......"Warning, the UTEC provides more that enough control for you to DESTROY your engine"......YIKES, hahahahaha......that should be enough for anyone to read the manual before they try to do it thierselves....i know im not confident yet, so i had mine tuned for me, haha. !Thumbs Up

·
Registered
6 Posts
What kind of HP gains do you see with this Turbo XS Utec unit. 3" exaust up pipe down pipe, 18psi. also what is needed for the proper set up and tuning the Utec and seeing your perameters. Is an EGT gauge needed? and how much will this improve my 1/4 mile time? i havnt ran a 1/4 mile yet, but i am just curiouse on what people are running for times without the utec then installing the Utec.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Well, that's a hard question to answer since there is so much you can do with a UTEC. You can tune it close to stock and see almost no gains. You can tune it conservatively and loose power, or you can tune it aggressively and make power. And, how aggressifely you tune it will determine how much power you will make. And, all cars are different. My car on 18 psi will make a different amount of power than your car on 18 psi (with all other mods being equal). Likewise, all cars can't run the same map safely.

You do need at minimum an EGT gauge to tune it properly. However, a wideband O2 sensor in conjunction with an EGT gauge is the best way to go.

There is no way to say how much it will improve your ¼ mile times. There are so many other factors to consider - driver skill, air temperature, traction, the condition of your clutch, etc. In fact, my car has run as much as a half second different going from a cool day to a warm day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's now the end of 2020, and even though older model WRX tuning is still popular finding the resources for the UTEC TurboXS is about impossible. Thankfully, I kept my UTEC resources and files all of these years. I also did a lot of searching over the past year and found additional stuff such as user-created maps. I also have a dedicated Windows UI and logger for the UTEC.

I plan on putting all of it on a simple website. Who here would be interested in seeing this resurrection take place? I'm not an experienced tuner .. I do know just enough to blow up my engine. It would be nice to get some good tuners involved here again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's ALL of my UTEC files via my Google Drive. I take no responsibility for how these are used. READ THE MANUALS FIRST.

This info is extremely hard to find now. Also included are maps from various tuners from over a decade ago. You'd have to load then into the UTEC to view their comments/parameters, or maybe RomRaider would allow that. Here's the link.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts