Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im picking up a 06 wrx with a vf39 sti turbo. Im completely new to turbos but i am not a incompetent boob. Heres a list of what has been done:
new spark plugs and ignition coils and ac belt serpentine belt new rack and pinion, inner and outer tie rod ends and power steering pump there is also a full turbo back exhaust as well. The gas burns as to be expected for a turboed car and it runs on premium gas.
Anything that a new turbo owner should know please let me know. Im talking anything from how to drive with it to how to park it i don't care how trivial or stupid it is.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok just found out that its a TD05 sti turbo it looks like its 20 gauge a lot of people are saying get bigger injectors and fuel pump to help the turbo function better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Start a relationship now, with a local shop you can trust... you're going to need their dyno and a tuner evntually. They will be able to tell you what it needs and when.

Considering the amount of time and money it's going to take, go with expert advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What do you do when you trusted a tuner to install egr/tgv deletes and an EBCS the day before a custom tune and my wrx FA20 had catastrophic engine failure? $10K later and I’ve got a new IAG short block and they still can’t figure it out (finish my customer tune) I waited +4 months ago before my 3 month old son was born along w/the unexpected expense and inconvenience of not having a car. I get the whole “pay to play” but I did my research, they are pricey - but you get what you pay for and reputable tuners. It took me +4 months to get my car back and a 1000 mile break in and I no longer have any confidence in their shop or my car. Do I remove the EBCS and tell them to have a nice life or let they keep it for a week to “run tests”? Even COBB looked over the data & they have never seen anything this before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What do you do when you trusted a tuner to install egr/tgv deletes and an EBCS the day before a custom tune and my wrx FA20 had catastrophic engine failure? $10K later and I’ve got a new IAG short block and they still can’t figure it out (finish my customer tune) I waited +4 months ago before my 3 month old son was born along w/the unexpected expense and inconvenience of not having a car. I get the whole “pay to play” but I did my research, they are pricey - but you get what you pay for and reputable tuners. It took me +4 months to get my car back and a 1000 mile break in and I no longer have any confidence in their shop or my car. Do I remove the EBCS and tell them to have a nice life or let they keep it for a week to “run tests”? Even COBB looked over the data & they have never seen anything this before.
IMO I go to trusted Subaru mechanics to get parts installed. If said parts need a tune then I bring it to a tuner. I don't let a tuner put parts on an engine. Maybe Im wrong or paranoid but it seems tuner = computer mechanic = actually wrenching

1 - 6 of 6 Posts