Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!!

I just bought my first Subaru, ITS AWESOME!!! Its a 04 wrx.

I believe it has an air intake kit and it has had he second cat replaced with a straight pipe (o2 sensor is just dangling?) with a 3 inch exhaust system. Is that a stage one tune?

It has a turbo xs engine management system.

It is running Very rich, has a hesitation at high revs/load and idles very lumpy (dont think its a misfire)

The guy i bought it from knew it ran like poo and seem to think it had never been set up properly

From what i can gather from the interweb the turbo xs ecu is no longer supported.

My question is would it be better for me to play with the turbo xs system or can I plug in a cobb tuner and bypass/override the current set up?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
First welcome!

Here is my suggestion in which I had the 05 WRX. Can you do something else... sure. But this is a good starting point to get it to normal and then see what you need to do from there.

1: Have a compression/leak down test performed as it could greatly change the next steps.
2: Get A stock ECU
3: Get a correct downpipe and install new o2 sensor
4: Unless its a cobb SF intake remove and replace with either Cobb SF or Stock Intake which should found really cheap. Any Turbo inlet will do but the Intake where the MAF plugs into must be either a Cobb SF or Stock unit. Anything other than those will require a Pro/E-Tune
5: Get a Cobb Access Port and Flash a Stage 2 OTS Map.

And lastly... Enjoy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts