Subaru WRX Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well I'm a little late to the party here but..

I have been running the stock sti tmic for a couple months now with no issues. I run 20psi with no ill effects. When tuned I made 370whp. My entire setup is heat wrapped from upipe to the downpipe, including a turbo blanket. I don't think this is perfect, and plan on going to a Spearco top mount when I have the funds, but it certainly suffices. I don't want to lose the throttle response and safety of the front bumper by going FMIC.

FYI - Ultimate Racing originally designed their rotated GT30 kit to use the spearco tmic.. and I trust them as much as any other shop out there when it comes to turbo anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well just like somebody said up there, it all depends what youre goin for. If you want that throttle response and no lag then do the top mount. The only thing i dont like about those are its trapped with all that heat under the hood and after a certain mile an hour the scoop doesnt do shit, plus theres no real heat extracter with the scoop. I would rather do front mount, screw the lag, your top end will make up for it. Bradley03, certain intakes will work with certain front mounts?? They say that so you can buy there intake. All the piping and everything should be around the same, you may have to move the intake a lil.
And i just wanna know what t wrex meant by safety of the front bumper??? There are kits that fit better than others, plus it is just a bumper, as much as i love my baby, id rather go with my car running better and more reliable then worry about my bumper. But thats all just me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Front bumper safety

Most of the time if not all the time when installing a front mount i/c, you have to takeout 4"x4" steel bumper support, and replace it with just a single piece of metal that fits around the new i/c. Check this out it's the peice of metal to the left of the i/c:
http://www.stockreco.com/aaaa10285.jpg

Some are better than others, but your still getting rid of the solid sqaure tube.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Bumpers are only meant to protect up to like a 5 mph crash. After that it's crumple zones and rigid support. So don't worry about replacing it when installing a FMIC. The FMIC will probably hold up better than the bumper anyway.

Do you plan on driving your car in the winter? If you're in Iowa, the snow is going wreak havoc on a FMIC.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.