Subaru WRX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
eighth08 said:
engine bay= hot
shortram = sucking hot air

stockairbox = mix of hotter air and colder wheelwell air.
Maybe at idle but when you get above 30mph you underhood temps are disipating.At 60mph your underhood temps arenot much hotter than ambient.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
good point but the fenderwell is still much colder.. or else what is the point of a CAI on hondas and whatnot, cause a lot of them stick only inside the fenderwell. and after driving my car hard when i had my perrin short ram, that whole filter and piping was pretty damn hot. colder or hotter weather..

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
The K&N one has the right idea with the heat sheild that seals at the hood.It actually doesn't mess up the MAF either.Little expensive but once you start getting to that 300whp mark you can start shopping for a used one on ebay.

·
Registered
111 Posts
sorry guys, but can anyone please explain why the afm problems cant be fixed by extending the afm wires and mounting the afm right behind the filter inside the inner guard when using a cold air intake, this way it no longer has the bend right before it? if you use the most conductive wire you can find the 12-14 inches of wire will not effect the resistance of the stock wiring. Anyone???

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
stileguy said:
sorry guys, but can anyone please explain why the afm problems cant be fixed by extending the afm wires and mounting the afm right behind the filter inside the inner guard when using a cold air intake, this way it no longer has the bend right before it? if you use the most conductive wire you can find the 12-14 inches of wire will not effect the resistance of the stock wiring. Anyone???
If that was the only think wrong with the intake then i'm sure that would work but would you want to pay $150+ just to have to modify (buy the new MAF plate,weld it and plug the exhisting hole) it to work properly for very little gains over the stock one?Waste of time and money.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
stileguy said:
the joys of map sensed engine management
ROFL True but it has its limitations as well.As long as you have programable engine management 50% of the intakes are a good design and just need slight recalibration of the MAF signal.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Just by looking at the engine, it looks like the design of the airbox and location of the MAS is still the same, so I'd say yes, still a big no no for the 06 WRX.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I really don't care for a CAI... although I am not sure where to start with modding my car. Seeing as I am a newb I am just gonna read around and learn as much as I can for the time being. I think the reason most people want a CAI is it has an easy install, its not too expensive, and ricers love it. I think every ricer in my school had one... then again, I am a newb and could be wrong. :/

·
Registered
5 Posts
dumdum said:
Just because your car hasn't gotten a CEL yet doesn't mean eveything is just peachy.The best way to tell if the intake is not so hot is to measure the inside diameter with a digital caliper.The magic number is 65mm.If you read back through this post you will see the intake skews the MAF signal.It causes mis readings and lean conditions at w.o.t./full boost.Re-read this thread again.Also checking in some of the other forums FAQ's will maybe help too.Almost evry single WRX forum will have an explanation to this question.!Thumbs Up

Are any of you familiar with the APS Cold Air intake? They claim that, their intake will work in harmony with the stock engine management, their intake is distinguished with the numerals "65" cast into the inside diameter of the engine hose end. Having that said, do you think i would still be running lean?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
balex5884 said:
Are any of you familiar with the APS Cold Air intake? They claim that, their intake will work in harmony with the stock engine management, their intake is distinguished with the numerals "65" cast into the inside diameter of the engine hose end. Having that said, do you think i would still be running lean?

Thanks
Obviously the "65" designates 65mm.If it is made to work in harmony with the stock ECU then obviously as well this translates they understand the issues had with intakes on WRX's.I personally don't like the fact that its cast because you will not always keep tight tolerances with a cast piece.There will always be some variences from casting.The Perrin,Cobb,and Turbo XS seem a better route to go if you actually NEED an intake.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
balex5884 said:
Thanks, Aps CAI is what i have and in my opinion so far they are the most trusted ones with the most researches.

Check it out http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us_spec/subaru/sti/2004_sti.htm
I know about them/it.APS is a very good company with quality products.I have their up-pipe and am very pleased with its construction and engineering.But thats not to say other manufactures don't have products of the same quality and engineering.Cobb's intake by far would be my choice for a short ram and APS definatly for a C.A.I.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
it's funny, people want to change the intake on subarus sooo bad.. even when told no you dont need it, they still wanna argue it just so they feel better about wanting one.. i know this from experience.. haha. i say ignore the idea of an intake besides the filter and silencer removal.. get exhaust and tuning..and handling mods... money better spent.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Everybody has different opinion about what to do for the intake system on the WRX.Some short ram,some C.A.I.,and some modified/stock oem airbox.I personally use the stock airbox,Green drop-in filter,and a 4" velocity stack in the inlet hole.Reliability is no problem unless you don't have the wheel well/inside fender liner:) The inlet hole is at the same hieght as the inlet scoop.It is alittle bit louder(especially with a high flow filter and TBE).Summit Racing sells a 3" I.D. velocity stack that fits right in the inlet hole.The stock elbow is about 2 3/4" I.D. Open up the hole alittle bit.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.