Subaru WRX Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

So... This swap is not for the faint of heart or those who lack the proper tools for the job. I had a car lift, a transmission Jack & power tools which all helped making this install more bearable. This swap took me collectively about 15 hours (through the span of 3 days). There were issues that I will mention later, but just know that no matter how well you prepare for this swap, chances are you'll run into an issue some. So assuming you'll get this done in one day is just unrealistic (although possible).

As you've read in the above posts to this build thread. This car has gone through quite the change in its last 3-4 years of me owning it. Some good, some bad. But this mod... This 6 speed swap. Very good. It's still a 'rough around the edges' kind of car, but its coming along. *under construction* lol.

Anyways, There's a list of parts in the thread above & plenty of info in the link provided as to why I chose what I did. But if you have any questions, please ask!

Let's begin shall we.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
As I mentioned, I had a lift, plenty of helping hands, a tranny jack & air tools!

My dad & I

My little bro. I well deserved nap after a 12 hour long day of continuous wrenching.

My Dad, my Uncle & I tying up the new rear diff (r160 w/ 3.90 gears)

So a lot of this is self explanatory in terms of the order in which you do the work. Start from the rear & work your way to the front of the car. Removing the 5 speed being the last thing you do.

So for starters, get that rear diff swapped! (assuming you need to depending on your 6 speed's gear ratios & whether or not they're compatible with your rear differential)

Removing the rear diff is simple, 2 bolts on the rear. 4 bolts under the front & 4 bolts on the driveshaft. Lower it slowly with a trans jack. Pop your rear axles out of the diff. Swap in the new Diff. Done.

Keep the drive shaft disconnected since your WRX driveshaft won't work with the 6 speed (It's just physically too long by about 2")

Removing this is even easier. Take out the two bolts in the middle of the bottom of the car. Pull drive shaft off transmission. Piece of cake!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Now for the 5 speed. Double, triple, quadruple check to make sure EVERYTHING is disconnected from the transmission BEFORE you start unbolting the tranny itself.
Undo the interior stuff

Undo the axles

Undo the exhaust

Undo ALL wiring
Undo clutch line
Undo clutch fork (disengage from throw out bearing!)
Undo the starter
Pull the shifter out from the bottom of the car
Undo etc etc... Again, any questions, Please ask!

& to make your life WAY easier, label everything you 'undo' with a ziplock bag & a sharpie!

Once you're 100% sure everything is disconnected. Support the tranny with the tranny jack. Take out your crossmember & tranny mount & start unbolting the tranny from the engine. Pull the tranny towards the rear of the car in a wiggling, jerking fashion. Once fully off the engine, start lowering the transmission.

Now take a lunch break... You've earned it. & you're 50% done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Now's a good time to get yourself a new clutch. UPGRADE! Although you can re use the WRX clutch... why? Just do yourself a favor & upgrade to at least an OEM STi clutch. I chose to go with a stage 2 STi clutch. Perhaps overkill... But at least I won't need to worry about slip anymore lol.

One thing to note, the STi pressure plate uses 9 bolts & 9 crush washers. The WRX only uses 6 bolts & 6 crush washers. This means you'll be short 3 bolts & 3 crush washers if you choose to upgrade to the STi clutch... The bolts you'll need are 3x M8-1.25x16mm bolts. & 3 crush washers lol. I got mine at Lowe's.

Now's a good time do as much work as possible now that your tranny is out. There's actual room to work around! Don't forget to swap your WRX harness over to your STi tranny for easier installation. My v7 tranny doesn't have a DCCD so no need for me to worry about that. Swap over any bushings you may have had on your old 5 speed to the new 6 speed! Make sure you properly installed your clutch fork & throw out bearing.

So much for weight reduction bro... You just added about 80lbs of metal to your car lol

Now because there is no transmission on the back of your engine, your engine will want to fall forward. This will make installing your 6 speed super difficult. Just get a ratchet strap, anchor to the pitch stop on your firewall & your intake manifold. Start tightening until that engine is leaning backwards a bit.

Now Get that tranny on the jack
get it lined up with the engine (DON"T FORCE IT ON)
start 4 bolts on the transmission to engine
slow tighten each so there's an even gap between the engine & tranny
slide your diveshaft on the tranny
slowly rotate the driveshaft, check to see if the fly wheel is turning, if it is, that means your input shaft is in the clutch!
Now slowly & evenly tighten those bolts to the engine & tranny.
pull the clutch fork back until it is no longer 'free' & now properly engaged into the pressure plate.
reinstall the crossmember, tighten up the tranny to engine bolts, get that shift situated.
Boom, you're 90% done!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
An issue I ran into was with the front axles. I used male axles since my 6 speed didn't come with stubs. The male axles I had were from an 05 WRX sedan. Now here's the catch. Both axles would fit fine on my driver's side, but neither fit in my passenger side. & when I say 'fit' I'm referring to the length of the axles. There simply wasn't enough space between my transmission & my wheel hub on my passenger side.

There was about a 3/4" difference between the distance between my tranny & hubs compared to driver's side & passenger's side. Why is this? I have no friggin' clue. How did I fix this problem? I got a wagon axles instead.

So Wagon axles are about 10-14mm shorter than sedan axles (depending on manufacturer). So i bought one 05 wagon axle & it fit like a glove!

Here are autozone part numbers to duralast axles for your reference!

Here's a wagon axle (overall length 768mm)

Here's a sedan axle (overall length 780mm)

14mm is a little more than 1/2 an inch. This was just enough for the new wagon axle to fit!

You are now mainly done, bleed your clutch line. Fill your tranny & rear diff fluids, rewire everything. I recommend running your car on the lift & rowing through the gears to listen for clunks & check for leaks.

Once that's all good. You're done. 6 speed is installed & working!

Again, any questions, please ask! I'm more than willing to help!

I no longer need to worry about breaking gears or slipping clutches with this near 300whp WRX!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
good stuff man! glad your enjoying yourself. i wont lie, im missing the teeth on the intercooler. i still think that was pretty cool. maybe reconsider when you go all black.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
My Cheap 6 speed swap

To anyone interested in tackling the infamous 6 speed swap. I put together a playlist of videos with plenty of info that should help with any questions anyone may have regarding said swap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So I finally got around to having the car painted on August 16th, 2016. Gloss Black. Painted at MAACO for just under $800.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
August 18th, 2 days after paint. The worst happened.

On my way to work, 7:00AM. I was T-boned at an intersection.

4+ years of hard work, time & $$$ ALL down the drain because some lady decided she was in too big of a hurry to stop at the stop sign and look both ways. No, instead she blows through the stop sign, crashing into me. What's worse is that I saw it coming, but it was too late. My road had no stop signs however the cross street she came from did. When I saw her coming, I knew she wasn't stopping, the road was wet so there's no way I could've stopped before hand. I just clenched the steering wheel & held on as my car was spinning after the collision. I spun twice, once into the opposite lane (thank god for no oncoming traffic or I might not be typing this right now) & once more until finally sliding off the road into the grass.

I sat in my car for a good 5 minutes after the crash, just staring at the wheel. Thinking of all my hard work now gone. I knew it was a good hit. I looked back & saw the floor bent up into the interior. I could see the B & C pillars bent inward. I knew the car was totaled the second she hit me.

I was filled with disbelief, anger. Hell what's the point in lying. I was furious! I decided the best coarse of action before even exiting my vehicle was to call the police. The lady came walking up to my window saying she didn't see me & was like "You didn't see me? How about the F***ing stop sign you blew through, you didn't see that either I guess!"

The cops arrived & asked for our stories. He handed her a citation immediately knowing who was at fault. The worst part is, this lying B*tch tried saying I was speeding. First of all, my speed was irrelevant to her blowing through a stop sign & secondly, a wet morning on my way to work... Me speeding? I don't think so. She thought because I was a young dude with a wing on his car that she could get away with "oh, well he was speeding" God Damn I've never been so mad in my life. *breathe*...

I took a look at my car & my heard sunk.

& if that wasn't a rough feeling. Knowing that you'll never drive your car again. That was even more rough.

To anyone thinking the damages didn't look all the bad like I've seen on my Instagram's comments.
B & C pillars - shot
The entire rear floor of the car - shot
Side skirt - shot
Rear quarter to roof line - shot
both passenger side doors - shot
EVERYTHING related to that side suspension - shot
paint - shot
wheel & tire - shot
trunk mounts - shot
related interior bits - shot

I had the car appraised by my Progressive agent & found out pretty soon it was totaled. I knew parting out my car would take awhile & I would be taking a chance trying to get out of it what I wanted. So instead, I took the check Progressive offered me. $8500 & change for a totaled 2004 WRX with 147000 on it. Money can't replace my car... But it had to. It was my only vehicle, I am finishing my last year of college. I needed a vehicle.

Anyways, I needed a trunk since I'm getting my associates in welding & fabrication. But instead of buying a trunk that you see 1000s of on a daily basis. I needed something that was different. Something I could tinker with.

I bought this...

It's a '77 F150 with a 460ci big block
RWD
3 speed C6 trans with shift kit & floor shifter
Detroit locker 3.50 rear end
295/65 mickey thompsons

& it was ratty, it was unique. I could still go to car meets. I could still mod it. It's not 'JDM is life bro' & it's not boosted. But gawd daamn 'MERICA.

Anyways it was only $3500 & it'll do what I need it to do.

Yes I'll get a Subaru again some day. & I'll be sure to go bigger & badder than before. But until then. I guess this is farewell.

So ends the story of the Blue Turd. It was completed.

Here's some more video of the post crash.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Shit man, I'm sorry to hear that.

On the other side I really do have a love for folks that keep old truckss rolling. Good luck with that F150 hope it serves you well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Damn. Just as I was following the progress. Sorry to hear. Glad you walked out of that one. I know has been over a year but it was fun to read the progress of the vehicle as I’m getting a 2004 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 54 of 54 Posts