Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I have owned my sti going on 2 years now it's a 2006 the ballast goes out every 7 months no joke it's getting expensive and annoying cause the ballast are expensive and better yet the pain to change them my car is super low so I have to do extra work to remove the number and get to the ballast I can't get the bulb out on the driver side it's way to narrow so I need to check if it's the bulb but I'm sure it's the ballast my question is there anyway other way to replace the ballast besides taking the bumper off my car is low it sleeps outside so the clips are all stiff and molded into place have to really force them open put the car on jacks etc just a bad time any other way? Thanks also I am considering being done with oem lights I have a hid guy in the area will sell me a kit that will plug and play for about 140 bucks should i do it or stay stock

·
Registered
291 Posts
After the second time I would have spent the money on a DDM Tuning 35w HID kit. I had a H11 set and while they take about 10seconds to warm up fully they're solid and look great. FYI the 35w 6000k still has a bit too much blue for me (not much but I wanted more white than blue).

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I Dont think hes talking about a drop in HID kit, which reminds me, Please go out a re-aim your HIDs @RoboTuner. Poorly aimed aftermarket HIDs are a huge road hazard even in some projector housings. Unless your did a complete retrofit, at which point we always like to see custom work : )
@385STI06 Morimoto makes XB35 D2S ballasts that will connect with your OEM HID bulbs and givbe you a remote ballast. they go for about $100 but they carry a 2 year warranty. If you are bruning out HID Ballasts so often you might want to check your wiring harness for shorts. Sometimes the connector between the harness and ballast can loosen over time causing arking and other problems on headlights.

hope that helps

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
It's worth noting that the bulbs supplied in HID kits do not fit in housings as well as OE grade bulbs and kit ballasts tend to be highly unreliable. Unless something is killing your ballasts, quality parts will last longer than you will likely own the car. Don't cheap point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts