Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 2018 WRX with only an access port and, I’d like to know if it’s possible to have an exhaust note like I’ve heard from at least three STis in my area. I can best describe it as you can hear very distinct sounds for each piston compared to a WRX. Is this simply due to the larger engine the STi has or is it possible with mine?

·
Registered
47 Posts
That sound is due to the unequal length headers still used on the EJ engines, whereas your FA engine uses equal length headers - evenly spaced out exhaust pulses vs unevenly spaced with the UEL headers.

Yours are the better design although without what’s come to be known as the distinctive “Subaru Rumble” or “Boxer Rumble”. They may sound cool but are not the best for the longevity of the engine, and will deliver power not as optimally and not as much as your EL headers.

They do make UEL for your car but, knowing the above I personally wouldn’t run them. Most people who upgrade to EL from UEL never look back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.