Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
i don't see how it could ! Unless you bent a fork or something... but they can't deny you for warranty without having a resonable cause... and pinning a short shifter on anything is next to impossible.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It does sound like a simple mod but you never know with subaru service, if anything goes wrong with your tranny they will give you shit about your short shifter but than again even if you are in a stock form they will still give you shit and try to void your warranty. I think it's a safe mod and you should go for it.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
If you're that worried. If something transmission related ever breaks. Throw your stock one back on before you take it in for warranty work. It takes like 10 minutes to install.

·
Registered
708 Posts
considering subaru offers a short shifter from the dealer, i'd say you're pretty safe. they all do the same thing so they can't say an aftermarket damaged it where a STi shortshifter wouldn't.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I would have to say that Subaru would pull that card if you had a aftermarket short throw and you took it in because of the tranny issue. Like Vew said just hang on to your old one and put it back in for peace of mind!Thumbs Up

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dealer can and some will blame any probs on even unrelated mods. I purchased the SPT short shifter and had the dealer install. Its a lil more expensive this way but you will retain your warranty. On a side not I spent a tone of $$$ on it and the damn thing still feel like a truck stick. Its so tall I wish the short throw actually came in a shorter length.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got my 2013 WRX in Nov. 2012 and it came with a short throw shifter. The car was an "STi inspired" Base WRX awarded to the dealership for selling so many in the past quarter. (got some pretty sweet other extras too at no cost!). That said, the stock set up is sloppy and doesn't guide in the stellar way I want. I just bought the Kartboy kit w/ bushings (link below) and can't wait to install it next weekend! But, I will hold on to my stock STS just in case anything happens. We only live once!

Kartboy 5MT STS 08-13 WRX

·
Registered
342 Posts
Got my 2013 WRX in Nov. 2012 and it came with a short throw shifter. The car was an "STi inspired" Base WRX awarded to the dealership for selling so many in the past quarter. (got some pretty sweet other extras too at no cost!). That said, the stock set up is sloppy and doesn't guide in the stellar way I want. I just bought the Kartboy kit w/ bushings (link below) and can't wait to install it next weekend! But, I will hold on to my stock STS just in case anything happens. We only live once!

Kartboy 5MT STS 08-13 WRX
If you're worried about warranty then don't mod. Are you going to keep the car running on the stock tune that's been proven lethal? 98% of Wrx/STi get a Cobb ap and reflash the car. Also based on your quote "WE ONLY LIVE ONCE" you should just mod your car and don't worry. You're car could potentially have more issues on the stock tune then you would have on the stage 1 or 2 Cobb tune! You plan on any other mods besides a short throw shifter? I did see you're from Cali so you're limited on your mods. Kinda must suck to live in Cali. I talk to guys all the time from Cali and they tell me how strict it is our there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Kartboy ss and bushings. Cheap,easy to do,good bang for the buck,good mod to warm up on,tons of good how-tos on this specific install. Really no downside.!Thumbs Up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts