Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am looking to get rid of my GSX and join the ranks of the WRX group... I am looking at the WRX wagon.. any thoughts?? I want the wagon because of the room and ability to haul my kid and his bikes and stuff around...

How do the Wagon and the Sedan compare as far as performance, and upgradeability??

How do the A/T versions compare to the M/T versions as far as power handeling and such... I remember the WRX having tranny problems early on is that an issue now??

Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
The wagon weighs about 80lbs. more, but it should have nearly just as much aftermarket support as the sedan, and they're basically identical in performance. The tranny problems are similar to the DSM "crankwalk" theory. The 5-speed is just thought to break under extreme power - yet there are plenty of people out there running low 13's without problems. I don't think you need to worry so much about the tranny.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The wagon doesn't have as many options when it comes to suspension and body kits, but just about everything else is identical to the sedan. Don't expect to have too much extra room though. My wagon has less space then my wife's Accord Sedan! Although I'm sure the wagon is still better off then the WRX sedan since that lacks fold down seats.

Oh, and get a manual. If you break it you either need to practice your shifting technique or you're pushing enough power to justify upgrading the tranny.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an auto sedan. I really like to auto trans and it is quite durable unless you really upgrade the power substantially. It is still pretty fast but is slower than a manual in stock form. No question about that. I also have kids and it is a great second car for a family if you already have a van or SUV to lug stuff around in. I know from experience that even a medium size kid's bike will not fit completely in the sedan trunk without hanging out. (There are roof racks for bikes if you really need them but they are much easier to find if you have the wagon) If it were my primary family car I would have definately gone for the wagon. Although the space is not huge compared to other family-type vehicles, it is certainly better than the sedan.

Dale

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have a sedan and my my mom has a wagon....scooby family...i know.......
the wagon has alot more hauling space..but maybe an inch more legroom in the back

but ive driven a/t wrx...rental car when i was getting tint done....and it jsut isnt the same....

i vote M/T wagon...for the family factor....my moms is cool...and you can make it look just as good if not better than a sedan....i have alot of pictures of her car....plus the one in the gallery if you want somehting to see

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have a sedan and my my mom has a wagon....scooby family...i know.......
the wagon has alot more hauling space..but maybe an inch more legroom in the back

but ive driven a/t wrx...rental car when i was getting tint done....and it jsut isnt the same....not near as fun..and you cant control as much

i vote M/T wagon...for the family factor....my moms is cool...and you can make it look just as good if not better than a sedan....i have alot of pictures of her car....plus the one in the gallery if you want somehting to see

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my M/T Wagon. I think I chose right. We use it as our primary vehicle. I have never owned anything without a hatch.

I autox my wagon and finished 6th out of 24 in street tire first time out. There were a couple experienced WRX sedans in my class which I was fractions of a second behind which was mainly due to their exhausts and aftermarket tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
have you thought about the forrester xt it will out perform wrx wagon and sedan 0-60 and has the most room, I test drove one a few months ago and if it I didn't go with the sti I would get the forrester xt. It basically has the same engine as the sti so there are many upgrades that can be done, it's an awesome sleeper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts