Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
EJ20 out of something.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to share this “build” with you all and also ask some questions about turbos. I’m building a computer case for a family entertainment build except I’m making the case out of a EJ20 open deck block. I’m currently in the process of and almost done milling out the two block halves. I work with engineers and one of them is going to help me build a spacer that matches the block contours I can put between the two block halves so I can get enough width to fit a full size Motherboard in it. Now on to my turbo question. What I want to do with the turbo is mount it and hook it (the impeller shaft that is) to a small 12V electric motor that kicks on when temps reach a certain point. I can get 40,000 rpm motors for pretty cheap and I’m wanting to know if 40,000 is overkill or even feasible for what I’m wanting to do with it or would a lower rpm motor give me a more reasonable blast of cooler air. Thanks
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is awesome. I don't know enough about what you're doing to give any useful input but I strongly suggest to post this on another forum like ClubWRX or IWSTi.

Can't wait to see finished results!

·
Registered
EJ20 out of something.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
40,000 rpm is going to be a LOT of air..

Look at a compressor map for it and see..

And that is going to take a lot of power to spin..

Far too much to cool a computer I’d say..
Yeah, I bought a 10,000 rpm motor instead. It’s only a 1.4amp draw which isn’t bad and I can hook it directly into the powersupply and have it kick on whenever the CPU fan kicks on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts