Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drove from my lawyer's office to my home no issues. Started my car to drive back had a slightly rough idle but I just thought it might be a gas issue and was going to throw some gas treatment in the tank then top off with some other gas after I went back to my lawyer. Went to my lawyer's office came back to my car and it wouldn't start. Called my mechanic and he said it sounds like a battery issue. Replaced the battery and the car still wont fire up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
115 Posts
could be a lot of things "won't start" is pretty vague...

If it's getting power, is the starter motor spinning? If not, maybe starter motor or solenoid. If that turns the engine but it doesn't fire, could be a fuel issue. Check plugs, wires, fuel pump, etc.

If nothing is happening, check fuses.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So all of the electronics come on the starter spins but the motor doesn't run. Sorry I should have been more specific when saying wont start.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You're getting electricity, that's half the battle.

The other half is fuel.

If the starter motor is spinning, but nothing fires... start with plugs/coil packs and then fuel lines / pump?

Also, check your fuses anyway... sucks to spend days looking for a problem when it turns out to be a 50 cent fuse.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Honestly couldn't say for sure... but I feel like you could get brand new heads for that price?

I have not had it done on my WRX... My outback Heads/Valves were under $1,000 to rebuild.

Depending on where you are and what's involved that may not be too terrible... but I would get a couple other quotes to be safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly couldn't say for sure... but I feel like you could get brand new heads for that price?

I have not had it done on my WRX... My outback Heads/Valves were under $1,000 to rebuild.

Depending on where you are and what's involved that may not be too terrible... but I would get a couple other quotes to be safe.
Well the water pump, timing belt, and pulleys are included. I got another quote as my car sat in pieces as I just found another good subie mechanic and they wanted 300 less. Alas my car already sits in pieces at the place it was at so Im just gonna pay the 2300 then if I have another repair in the future hopefully not Ill try that other place

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ahh, so... with the water pump and belts/ pulleys that's not as bad as I thought... that's easily $800-$1000 of the price I'm thinking.

Still, hard pill to swallow when it won't even make more rumble!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahh, so... with the water pump and belts/ pulleys that's not as bad as I thought... that's easily $800-$1000 of the price I'm thinking.

Still, hard pill to swallow when it won't even make more rumble!
Yea but it does. Without this done there is no rumble. Also I have added on to this Im having them do my oil pickup with an IAG, my motor mounts, and my banjo bolts in order to do some preventative things while the motor is out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have heard some claims of 30+ HP

I would say it's more like 15 - 20, tops. Probably depends on how much you're already making.

Costs about $300 for the deletes themselves (depending on brand, etc) and then it would need a tune to correct for the less restricted airflow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts