Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys I've been here on the forum for a couple months now, and I recently moved from St. Louis, Missouri to the Monterey Bay area. Just was wondering if theres any guys around where I am. Also if anyone knows of any good fun canyon roads around me as I haven't had to time to take many drives as I moved for school.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Fun canyon roads you say?! You sir, are literally surrounded by "fun canyon roads". Any way you take out of Monterrey is going to be fun. If you go south on the Pacific Coast Highway (#1) towards Big Sur and beyond, you will experience one of the best stretches of road in the country. If I remember correctly, the trick to driving fun roads around Monterrey will be to figure out the best time when there are the least amount of cars on the roads.

No matter which road you choose, please keep a sharp eye out for the California Highway Patrol (California's state police agency).

Welcome to California!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fun canyon roads you say?! You sir, are literally surrounded by "fun canyon roads". Any way you take out of Monterrey is going to be fun. If you go south on the Pacific Coast Highway (#1) towards Big Sur and beyond, you will experience one of the best stretches of road in the country. If I remember correctly, the trick to driving fun roads around Monterrey will be to figure out the best time when there are the least amount of cars on the roads.

No matter which road you choose, please keep a sharp eye out for the California Highway Patrol (California's state police agency).

Welcome to California!
Thank You! Hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to go out and explore around me. One thing I now I'm not use to is the gas here. Having to change my tune when I run out of this tank of gas is going to SUCK!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I liked deviating from the the "17 mile drive" route within Pebble Beach (too many tourists on the suggested route). There are many amazing estates there.

After looking at a map, you may want to explore Carmel Valley road (county road G16, last chance to get off of the PCH before leaving Carmel going south towards Big Sur). Some offshoots from that road include "Laureles Grade" and "Cachagua Road". I've never driven them, but they look interesting!

If you have more time on your hands, I would suggest deviating to the west of Highway 17 (that runs between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz). You will see nature that is nothing short of amazing in that area!!!

I get excited just looking at the map. I hope you will oblige us with some pictures of your future explorations.

Here is a picture I took at Big Sur...must've been 8 years ago by now (click for bigger image).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I liked deviating from the the "17 mile drive" route within Pebble Beach (too many tourists on the suggested route). There are many amazing estates there.

After looking at a map, you may want to explore Carmel Valley road (county road G16, last chance to get off of the PCH before leaving Carmel going south towards Big Sur). Some offshoots from that road include "Laureles Grade" and "Cachagua Road". I've never driven them, but they look interesting!

If you have more time on your hands, I would suggest deviating to the west of Highway 17 (that runs between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz). You will see nature that is nothing short of amazing in that area!!!

I get excited just looking at the map. I hope you will oblige us with some pictures of your future explorations.

Here is a picture I took at Big Sur...must've been 8 years ago by now (click for bigger image).

Hopefully I will find time this weekend to go on some cruises. Where I go to school is in Seaside, CA and these seem to be pretty close and well worth it. Ill definitely remember to bring my dslr camera with me as well so I can try to get a lot of cool shots. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Welcome to California : )

Here we are blessed with canyon roads and costal highways. If I had to choose my favorite road in all of California it would have to be the canyon roads leading into the yosemite national park on the 41. You get in through a ranger stop and the day passes are pretty affordable. The roads are perfectly maintained and angled so your car just tucks itself in every corner. Therese nothing quite like weaving in and out of giant redwoods with the turbo spooling. Its a few hours from Monterrey but if your new to California its one of the most beautiful places we have.

Maybe Ill see you on the road next time Im up north, and again welcome,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to California : )

Here we are blessed with canyon roads and costal highways. If I had to choose my favorite road in all of California it would have to be the canyon roads leading into the yosemite national park on the 41. You get in through a ranger stop and the day passes are pretty affordable. The roads are perfectly maintained and angled so your car just tucks itself in every corner. Therese nothing quite like weaving in and out of giant redwoods with the turbo spooling. Its a few hours from Monterrey but if your new to California its one of the most beautiful places we have.

Maybe Ill see you on the road next time Im up north, and again welcome,

Thank you for the welcome, and I'm so excited to drive these roads and to be a apart of a car culture out here that's different than what I'm use to and to learn more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.