Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got myself a EJ25 short block case off from a 2012 STI and im planning to acquire the following parts next week.

- JE hybrid pistons
- King Rod and Main bearing
- STI harden crankshaft

1st question should I get the 04 to 06 version STI OEM head gasket or the 07 to 13 version STI head gasket?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
get the gasket which matches the block (2012) since your machining your heads to fit the block

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oks .. I just got confuse with this one I don't know if I should match the gasket with the current block model or with an older gasket version to match my 02 wrx heads :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quick update I got almost of the parts already ..my boss just wont let me go on leave for me to assemble my hybrid :(

I have the following parts any comments about them?

- JE hybrid forged pistons
- Manley rod
- King main and rod bearings
- sti 11mm oil pump
- gates racing timing belt
- kinugawa fuel rail

right now I cant decide if ill get a stage 2 or stage 3 competition clutch .. any advise on this?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
if its a daily driver i would recommend staying with a sprung hub. solid hubs are a pig to drive and really only good on the racetrack.

a twin plate, organic clutch, sprung hub (whatever "stage" that is) is a nice setup. the orgainc material keeps things smooth over ceramic, but with 2 plates its better enagagement and holds alot more power.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my kinugawa fuel rail .. the problem was I spent 2 weeks prepping my tgv I deleted it .. clean it.. remove the butterfly.. cut the divider plate.. clean it again and paint it .. just to find out it does not fit my STI intake manifold and the injectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hmmm.. I can't daily the stage 3? The seller said it can be a daily ..but I guess his the seller will say anything lol!
you CAN daily anything at any "stage", its just a matter of what u want to put up with while driving. but stages are a marketing term and i have no idea what you mean by stage 3.

is it sprung or unspring, organic or ceramic button, twin plate or single?

stage 3 might or might not be ceramic button clutch, with or without cusion.

see where im going with this? "stages" sell products... but doesnt really tell us about the item you are purchasing.

the seller is telling the truth im sure. it would defeinitely work. but have you driven with a solid hub clutch before? also what are your power goals? if your aiming for 500-600-700hp you might need a really strong clutch. so the one you have alreday selected will be fine.

your clutch is probably the hardest part to select properly for your car. its the piece that connects the car to the foot to the road to the feel of the car. too hardcore of a clutch can really ruin the way a car drives.

everything else looks nice btw :) i like when ppl take the time to paint things during rebuilds... unless your building a ratrod lol :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
you CAN daily anything at any "stage", its just a matter of what u want to put up with while driving. but stages are a marketing term and i have no idea what you mean by stage 3.

is it sprung or unspring, organic or ceramic button, twin plate or single?

stage 3 might or might not be ceramic button clutch, with or without cusion.

see where im going with this? "stages" sell products... but doesnt really tell us about the item you are purchasing.

the seller is telling the truth im sure. it would defeinitely work. but have you driven with a solid hub clutch before? also what are your power goals? if your aiming for 500-600-700hp you might need a really strong clutch. so the one you have alreday selected will be fine.

your clutch is probably the hardest part to select properly for your car. its the piece that connects the car to the foot to the road to the feel of the car. too hardcore of a clutch can really ruin the way a car drives.

everything else looks nice btw :) i like when ppl take the time to paint things during rebuilds... unless your building a ratrod lol :)

oh sorry another thing a assumed wrong I was thinking when you say stages everything is pretty much standard lol! Its from rally direct the ceramic clutch.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/fits/2002-subaru-impreza-wrx-2-0/single-disc-clutches/cci1-15029-2600-competition-clutch-stage-3-segmented-ceramic-clutch-kit

another issue with this is im thinking of getting also the competition lightweight flywheel? the 12lbs.. the problem is I already have a Perrin lightweight crank pulley. I have been reading they say it will be hard to tune if you "match" the two together? is this true?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks titter I always like my engine clean looking. btw speaking of HP do you know how much horse power my wrx 02 tranny can hold up? ill be replacing my tranny with a sti 6 speed one later on. im just wondering how much HP it can handle for now.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
how you drive is 90% of how long your trans lasts.

ive seen stock 5speed hold 500hp, yet stock wrx's blow thier 5mt all the time.

there are cars running 700+hp on the stock 5 speed with this as their only upgrade Moore Performance & Race Parts - BlastPlates

learning how to heel-toe shift and match synchros can greatly reduce wear on your transmission. some say this is uncalled for for daily driving, but those same people say 500hp is uncalled for for daily driving so ignore them. everything is relative.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh sorry another thing a assumed wrong I was thinking when you say stages everything is pretty much standard lol! Its from rally direct the ceramic clutch.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/fits/2002-subaru-impreza-wrx-2-0/single-disc-clutches/cci1-15029-2600-competition-clutch-stage-3-segmented-ceramic-clutch-kit

another issue with this is im thinking of getting also the competition lightweight flywheel? the 12lbs.. the problem is I already have a Perrin lightweight crank pulley. I have been reading they say it will be hard to tune if you "match" the two together? is this true?

edited.... "match" together I mean :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please tell me you didn't use factory head gaskets on this build?
I havent assembled my hybrid engine yet.. most probably around May ill do the swap. But yeah i do have the OEM head gasket already which im actually thinking twice of using. I was going after the cometic gasket at first but they say block and head surface should be perfect flat or else the cometic will fail... OEM gasket they say will not fail due to surface issue?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how you drive is 90% of how long your trans lasts.

ive seen stock 5speed hold 500hp, yet stock wrx's blow thier 5mt all the time.

there are cars running 700+hp on the stock 5 speed with this as their only upgrade Moore Performance & Race Parts - BlastPlates

learning how to heel-toe shift and match synchros can greatly reduce wear on your transmission. some say this is uncalled for for daily driving, but those same people say 500hp is uncalled for for daily driving so ignore them. everything is relative.
thanks again titter day by day I learn so many things from you didn't know about this blast plate before .. ill try to get my hands on this part I think I need it.... I don't race my car and I rarely do above 80mph again im so scared of the cops here in California ..but I do have a bad habit of doing hard takeoff from time to time.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I havent assembled my hybrid engine yet.. most probably around May ill do the swap. But yeah i do have the OEM head gasket already which im actually thinking twice of using. I was going after the cometic gasket at first but they say block and head surface should be perfect flat or else the cometic will fail... OEM gasket they say will not fail due to surface issue?
Well if you are using a freshly machined block and heads then you should be okay using Cometic.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts