Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, had another post earlier about a California approved intake, and I've decided to hold off until Cobb makes the 2015, I'm also going to wait to upgrade the exhaust that way I can get the car tuned at the same time. HOWEVER. What can I do that doesn't require a tune? I hear about a intake silencer delete? I want to hear more of my car, I want to hear more of the intake and the exhaust, so what can I do until I pull the trigger on the Cobb? Sorry for the noob thread, knowledge is power and I have allot to learn

·
Registered
711 Posts
you can however put on a cat back exhaust and you wont need a tune.this will give you a great sound depending on what cat back you decide to go with. just remember if you decide to get one to get a exhaust that will go with the down pipe you want. a cat back wont increase hp it will only make your car sound cool. check youtube b4 you invest in one to find the right sound for you. good luck!:D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Before you start thinking about an intake you need to be thinking about a way to tune for it first! besides that CBE like TKK said, suspension upgrades, stiffer motor mounts and shifter bushings, short throw shifter, rims, drive live bushings, brake lines, master cylinder brace. Theres TONS of other things to focus on for a while!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'd get a cat-back exhaust and wait for a COBB intake, so it'll be compatible with a COBB engine tune. You'll need a COBB AccessPort for that.

I wouldn't do much else to a '15 until after the warranty period.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And a catback is just basically a bolt on exhaust? Or is it just like a new muffler? Also can you explain what you mean about the down pipes? Thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
A catback is just piping that goes to the downpipe and a muffler. For all intensive purposes yes a catback is a bolt on exhaust. If you want to hang less piping and you just want a new sound you can get an axel-back which is effectively just a new muffler.

The downpipe is the tube that exuahst gasses go through after they spin the turbine in the turbo.Hers an example exhaust path from cobb that might help
Technical Articles

To simplify:

WRX Exhaust path [engine] > Headers > Up-pipe > [turbo] > down-pipe (with or without catalytic converter) >Catback > muffler > tips

* a catback system contains all the hardware to pipe exhaust gasses from the down-pipe to the rear of the car through a number of resonators and out to atmosphere. Subaru OEM downpipes contain catalytic converters, some cars have a seperate cat attached t

* a axel-back simply replaces the OEM muffler with a more open=deeper/louder sounding tone

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A catback is just piping that goes to the downpipe and a muffler. For all intensive purposes yes a catback is a bolt on exhaust. If you want to hang less piping and you just want a new sound you can get an axel-back which is effectively just a new muffler.

The downpipe is the tube that exuahst gasses go through after they spin the turbine in the turbo.Hers an example exhaust path from cobb that might help
Technical Articles

To simplify:

WRX Exhaust path [engine] > Headers > Up-pipe > [turbo] > down-pipe (with or without catalytic converter) >Catback > muffler > tips

* a catback system contains all the hardware to pipe exhaust gasses from the down-pipe to the rear of the car through a number of resonators and out to atmosphere. Subaru OEM downpipes contain catalytic converters, some cars have a seperate cat attached t

* a axel-back simply replaces the OEM muffler with a more open=deeper/louder sounding tone

Thanks for all the info, really helpful, what would you say my best bet would be? Obviously I'm waiting on getting the Intake until Cobb comes out with the 2015, would u say I should just get a caback and call it a day?

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Cobb,Cobb,Cobb...There are other choices you know? I'm stage 2+ and the only thing Cobb I have is a lightweight crank pulley. Why don't we all stop calling our cars Subarus and just call them Cobbs? As far as the intake is concerned I still say,and so do a ton of people who know more about it than me, under 300 WHP LEAVE THE DAMN INTAKE ALONE!!! It should be the last step to 350WHP. Not the 1st step to 200WHP.:pity: Please don't make me start posting quotes from other Subaru gurus to back me up...AGAIN!!! :beatentod And the same goes for the BOV!!!

Wait a sec, this thread is suppose to be about mods that don't need a tune,right? OK,here goes...
K&N drop-in air filter,
Samco airbox Hose,
Samco intercooler hose kit,
Samco upper and lower rad hoses,
Koyo Aluminum Racing Radiator,
Borla cat-back,3"twin tip,
DEI Reflect-A-GOLD on intercooler,
Cobb lightened crank pulley,
Walbro fuel pump,
kartboy short shifter & bushings,
Uncle Scotty's cocktail
Whiteline steering rack bushings,
front & rear end links,
front & rear sway bars,
Dunlop Direzza tires,
Grimmspeed hood struts,
Hawk Quiet Slot Front Rotors,
Hawk HPS front and rear brake Pads,
Optima red top battery,
Hella horns,
RA mud flaps,
SS brake lines,

There,that should keep you busy and your mind off the damn intake. Peace out...:x

Reactions: Epictofer

·
Registered
711 Posts
cobb just offers a simple tuning method that doesnt require a trip to the tuner. prob y its so popular. the only thing thats good about an intake is that it makes the turbo spool louder.

a catback will def make your car sound good if you get the right one. its a simple bolt on, wont affect performance and you can always add a down pipe later when youre ready to tune and really ad hp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cobb,Cobb,Cobb...There are other choices you know? I'm stage 2+ and the only thing Cobb I have is a lightweight crank pulley. Why don't we all stop calling our cars Subarus and just call them Cobbs? As far as the intake is concerned I still say,and so do a ton of people who know more about it than me, under 300 WHP LEAVE THE DAMN INTAKE ALONE!!! It should be the last step to 350WHP. Not the 1st step to 200WHP.:pity: Please don't make me start posting quotes from other Subaru gurus to back me up...AGAIN!!! :beatentod And the same goes for the BOV!!!

Wait a sec, this thread is suppose to be about mods that don't need a tune,right? OK,here goes...
K&N drop-in air filter,
Samco airbox Hose,
Samco intercooler hose kit,
Samco upper and lower rad hoses,
Koyo Aluminum Racing Radiator,
Borla cat-back,3"twin tip,
DEI Reflect-A-GOLD on intercooler,
Cobb lightened crank pulley,
Walbro fuel pump,
kartboy short shifter & bushings,
Uncle Scotty's cocktail
Whiteline steering rack bushings,
front & rear end links,
front & rear sway bars,
Dunlop Direzza tires,
Grimmspeed hood struts,
Hawk Quiet Slot Front Rotors,
Hawk HPS front and rear brake Pads,
Optima red top battery,
Hella horns,
RA mud flaps,
SS brake lines,

There,that should keep you busy and your mind off the damn intake. Peace out...:x

Thank you for the info but I believe you coulda been a little nicer about it 1st off... I've had a Subaru for 6 days. And unlike allot of other people out there I wanna do as much research as possible 2) I am in the military stationed in California and idk if you know this but you can't put just any old intake on a car in California and Cobb is the only c.a.r.b approved intake I have found. I don't want to Chang out my intake every year for a smog check. And 3) I plan on doing allot of things to my car. I don't race it. I like to drive fast but I don't need to race. I want to hear my turbo. I love the sound and the feel of a tuner. Hence why I bought the thing in the first place. So again thank you for your info, but don't post negatively on my thread, allot of people have been really nice and helpful. I'd like to keep it that way. But again, thank you

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hes not being rude, hes right. The reason i fried the ring lands in my 13 wrx was because i slapped an intake and stage 1 tune on my car and drove the hell out of it. It ran lean, over heated the cylinder and broke off about 45% of the ring land on one side of the piston. Most of the guys on here are VERY informed. Dont be offended by our directness. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not saying he's wrong at all, he was very informant and very helpful, but just didn't like the way he came at me, but moving on thank you for the help. That list WILL keep me busy for a while

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am running 3 inch catless sounds real good have the check eng light because no down stream 02 turbo spools faster and I car hear it spool up real good loud spool up now need to get it tuned now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Crucial Question:
What are your goals for the car?
Quick, dependable daily driver?
1/4 mile beater?
Road racer?

IMO, one of the most effective mods you can do is an OTS Stage 1 tune. I'd wait for Torqued Performance to come out with their '15 maps. Eric does great work & has excellent customer service. For more power, an aftermarket downpipe & Stage 2 tune are where the fun really start.
To maximize your results, an aftermarket tune is a must; throwing parts at your car without the requisite tuning is a waste of your money & is asking for engine damage (see post #13 above).
Also, an aftermarket intake requires a retune. No way around it. It's also a waste of $ since the stock DP is the biggest bottleneck to freer air flow through your engine. I'd wait on the intake until you go beyond Stage 2.

As I understand, the '15s have their suspension pretty well sorted from the factory. That'll save you gobs of $.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts