Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help please. I just bought my first used 2002 wrx and in the past couple of days I have heard a rattle coming from what sounds like my engine bay when my rpm's go over 3000 and it stops at about 4500 rpm. it also only occurs when I lightly press the accelerator. The noise doesn't happen when the car is in neutral even if i rev the engine to 3000-4500.
I don't know if there is a better way to explain this issue, if anyone can help me diagnose the problem it would be greatly appreciated. If theres any other info that would help i can try and get it.

I also need a new transmission because mine is leaking fluid out of a bad seal so it could be that but I am not sure and the mechanics that I have taken it to have not been able to diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an 03 that would do something similar. Does the rattling occur at all speeds or only in 5th around 50-60mph? If it is only around 50-60mph my car would do it and I eventually figured out it was due to resonance with the body, keep in mind it was a VERY faint rattling/humming sound. If your rattling is louder and isn't a tone but sounds like metal on metal then you might have some bolts loose or missing.

I would suggest getting it into the air, taking off the splash guards and tightening all bolts to the correct torque figures.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts