Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I am new to this forum but not a new fan to subies. After many years of gawking, I am finally ready to buy one of my own.

I am in the market for a WRX wagon, and am open to suggestions. I would like to stay within the budget of $8000, but might be flexible. I am hoping to buy a car by the end of August so i'm on a minor time crunch.

I am a big outdoor enthusiast as i'm sure everyone here is, and am hoping to get the wagon so that I can sleep in the back with the seats down, cary all of my shit, and get pretty much anywhere no matter the road conditions.

I really like the styles of the 2004-2007 wrx. I don't much care for the Bug Eyes, but might be down to compromise if I see a look that I like. Although i'm pretty set on getting a fast-ish car, I don't have a preference between ej20T or ej25T. As far as milage goes, I want to stick to the lowest that I can afford which seems to be between 90k and 130k-ish. With all this in mind, I am just a newbie and am open to suggestions!

Any info helps, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Welcome to our forums,

Before we begin your not going to like what I have to say. That out of the way...

Dont buy a 100k+ mile WRX and expect your sticker price to be your final price. If you have an 8k budget i would suggest an impreza wagon or an old forester to haul all your stuff. The WRX platform is a beautiful car with an excellent track record but they are also well known for their rally heritage and they have been popular street tuning cars since they were released. That maens that the 100k you see on the clock were likley hard driven miles. Most examples you will see on showroom floors will be modded and back to stock or they will be sold by 2nd or 3rd owners who are trying to get their parts investment out of them.

If you are decided on a 100k+ WRX get maintenance logs, you should see at least 2 sets of plugs ( which are a bitch on these engines ) and at least 1 timing swap. If you dont see those on the logs walk away. If you happen to find one that was driven to church on sunday and kept in a garage go for it but there will be alot of "tuned" and modded examples and just as many stock looking units that have been hooned on.

When your ready to pull the trigger feel free to post up photos and we can visually ID most aftermarket parts. We are here to help but dont get your hopes up for a mint stock WRX for 8K.

Oh and dont forget to wave.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally understand that. I appreciate the feedback. I am willing to save up some more cash, but have still had a hard time finding WRX's with under 100k. I would much prefer to get something below 100K but based on market availibility built my budget off of 100K+. I guess like all things, patience is key... Any advice in this neck of the woods would be appreciated. Having done more research, I am down to get a bugeye, so now those are in the mix too.

As a side note, does anyone have experience sleeping in the back of their wrx? I am transitioning from a camper shell pickup build, and was hoping to sleep in back every once in a while.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
dunno what prices are. probably from a few hundred all the way to a few thousand, depending on the model.

also, what you could put on top of it would be depending on the model.

there are many makes, models, and sizes. i know them as Automotive Roof Top Tents. just google yer heart out and im sure youll find one to suit your needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.