Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Impreza WRX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty savvy when it comes to cars one thing i have not done is pull an engine. I have to replace the head gasket. I have done a lot of research but I'm still a little nervous. any tips or tricks?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I assume your dealing with your 04. I also assume it’s a 5 speed..

Biggest thing that will hold you up is the clutch fork pivot pin. If you don’t remove it you can’t separate the motor from the trans. Like wise where reinstalling make sure you find the proper order for reassembling the throw out bearing. It’s been many years since I did mine and so I’m not 100% which way it goes at this point. But if you check out a few YouTube videos you will see what I’m talking about.

the next hurdle will be separating the motor from the trans. Provided you don’t miss a bolt the alignment pins are steel. Steel and alum don’t mix so they corrode. The alumn mating surfaces corrode and stick together. The first time I pulled the motor in My02 it took me a while with a thin chisel tapping it between the motor and trans until they started to separate then I worked my way down both side to pop the alignment pins. Be patient. It may take a bit.

other that that things were pretty straight forward for me. If your mechanically inclined you should be fine. Do a google search for the shop manual or assembly manual. There are free downloads out there and used to be links on this forum back in the day. It will help you a lot and provide all the proper TQ specs.

This is a PERFECT time to do a clutch/throw out bearing. Your already apart and it’s a good thing to do so you don’t have to pull the motor again soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts