Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, its really hot here in lebanon now, and my car isnt giving its best performance. Im thinking of putting ice cubes on my intercooler while drag racing. In that case air will get in the hood scoop, hit the ice, and cold air will enter the turbo. Do you think its a good idea?? thanks...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why not? Its been done before. It will melt super fast, but it will at least cool the intercooler down for the next pass you make on the track.

Oh and btw, you are not cooling the air going to the turbo at this point. Remember, the compressor wheel on the turbo blows air into the intercooler, then the intercooler cools that air, then the air goes into the intake and motor. I think you just got mixed up a bit. You got the right idea though....cool air into the motor = more power!Thumbs Up

·
Registered
300 Posts
dry ice will last a lot longer and the sheet form you can get it in will sit nicly on your IC. shit, if you get a drill and perforate it and strap it to the IC you could make runs WITH the dry ice attached!
This sounds like a great idea, but I'm wondering how efficient it would be. I mean, yes you are getting a bit of air through the perforations in the ice as you go down the track, but wouldnt your intercooler need much more airflow going passed it to take away the heat from the intercooler. I could be wrong, but I dont think throwing a big flat piece of ice on the top of the intercooler (even with some holes in the ice) and running down the track is the most ideal situation.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
a very valid point. you cant suffocate the IC. The holes need to be big, like 1.5-2" and there need to be a lot of them. if you could shape some dry ice to cover the center third of the IC that would work as well. but drilling holes would give you much more surface area for the incoming air to pass over.

you will have to do some experimentation, i wouldn't advise you go to the track with a cooler of dry ice and just start doing runs. spend a saturday and working with it untill you get a good combination.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
how do you plan to secure ice cubes on your IC? or are you just planning on using ice cubes while your not doing runs just to bring down the ambient of the IC?

if its the later then dry ice will still be a better option. you cant suffocate the IC if the car is not running.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
then use the dry ice. its a hell of a load coalder, its in nice easily movable sheets and takes forever to melt.

you only need to drill holes on leave open air space if you drive the car with the dry ice on the IC. like i said, you cant suffocate something that isnt asking for air.

·
Registered
2018 WRX - Azul Rallye Blue
2 Posts
then use the dry ice. its a hell of a load coalder, its in nice easily movable sheets and takes forever to melt.

you only need to drill holes on leave open air space if you drive the car with the dry ice on the IC. like i said, you cant suffocate something that isnt asking for air.
And dry ice will not dump water the track surface = "DQ?!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts