Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I having been looking at different companies for remapping my ecu, but just having a little difficulty choosing a company. I only have an exhaust on my car right now. But will be putting an up pipe and down pipe. Which companies should I go for with the remapping. Cobb, Vishnutuning, Turbo xs or if there are any other companies you would suggest. I would highly appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

Peace,

Mike-O

·
Premium Member
6,493 Posts
Depends on how you feel about doing it yourself. If you search the tuning thread on here you will find many discussions about all the different sorts that are out there.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You have a number of options:

ACCESSPORT: has a lot of cool features, among which map switching on the fly is probably the coolest (I really don't want to name all the features, so look it up). the v1 ap you could probably get for ~$300, and the new one is $700.
UTEC: this is a piggyback system, so it has it's advantages and disadvantages. I think the utec has less compatability issues with certain ecus (like jdm ones) since all it oes is just send different readings to the ecus; it doesn't actually alter it's settings. also, another thing to note is that for utecs, a gm bcs is plug and play. I believe you can also control ic water sprayers, fans, maybe even alky injection with the utec (though I'm not 100% sure about this).
XEDE: don't bother with vishnu. it's dead and you wont be able to get any support from it.
ECUTEK: this form of engine management, imo, is dying. it's features extend no further than open source, yet it costs more (to purchase a license) and leaves you in the dark as far as your ecu is concerned. with ecutek licenses now, you can't pull your own rom or use another form of engine management (other than piggybacks) for the REST of your LIFE. not to mention, licenses aren't transferable from one ecu to another. So if you ever decide on getting another wrx, you'll need to purchase another license (which sucks).
OPEN SOURCE: for you, this is among the simplest (on par with the ap) and cheapest (by far) of all solutions (if you get your car tuned by someone else). you just buy a tactrix cable ($92), bring it to a tuner with your car, and pick it up when he's done. you hardly need to do anything. the bad thing about open source tools is there is no warranty, and no customer support.

unless you absolutely need (or covet) some of the features that the ap and utec offer, I suggest you go open source. since you live in southern california, you are not limited to a certain type of engine management. most tuners out here will tune via any of the above (except xede). for this reason, it will be beneficial for you to go open source. it will be much cheaper, and you'll receive most if not all the benefits of the other em options. if you want, I can send you a list of open source tuners here in southern california.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
WARNING: cobb maps run extremely rich, get it protune if you go this route or you might end up like me. Burnt up rings at only 38xxx miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I will do some more reading in the forum. I really appreciate it........WReXd if you could give me a list of some good open source tuners in so cal that would be awesome. Once again Thank You. Have a good one.

·
Registered
996 Posts
largeorangefont
turboge
ev8siv3
The first two you can get a hold of at nasioc.com. For the last one you'll need to register at osecuroms.org. You can contact them via pm.

·
Registered
996 Posts
It's always a good idea to get a tune after stage 2. If you're only at stage 1 or 2, you should be fine with the generic map.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
so with cobb stage2 no tune is required to help with the richness? will the car run richer or leaner than stock?

·
Premium Member
6,493 Posts
so with cobb stage2 no tune is required to help with the richness? will the car run richer or leaner than stock?
The car will run rich. A tune after the flash is not ABSOLUTELY necessary, but it will help you and let you get the most out of the current set up of your particulary car.

·
Premium Member
6,493 Posts
around how much would a tune cost ???
Thats a question that is usually better answered from someone in your area. It all depends on how long it takes, if its done by a dyno tune. Probably what all needs to be adjusted on your car. I have heard they can/have cost in and around the $300-$400 range. Sorry I cant help much on this one.

·
Registered
996 Posts
If you get tuned by ev8siv3 his rates are 125 for the first 2 hours and 75 every hour after that (for a road tune). The other two I don't know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts