Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off and on now I have been trying to find the cause of the noises that my WRX has been making. I found one of them, a loose rear spoiler. But I have many more squeaks and rattles.

You may think I’m a little weird, but I went as far as taking a little ride in the trunk to find out where its coming from. I jumped right in the trunk and had someone else drive. It worked, found one of the squeaks. Some of the other noises I hear must be the front and rear sway bar bushings. But I wouldn’t have found that out if I didn’t take a ride in the trunk. Its just to hard to figure out where squeaks and rattles are coming from when your driving.

I still have a squeak in the dash, and a rattle or knocking in one of the doors.

Anyone else have this problem, and how did you fix it?

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Man, now that is what I call determined. I think I'll try a ride in the engine compartment next time there's a funny noise :) - j/k!

As for the door, like on many cars, you can always check to make sure the latch isn't metal to metal - this has happened on a few cars of mine. I just put a little electrical tape on the latch and it cured it. Of course, if it was something that easy, I'd guess that you would have found it already - you sound pretty thorough.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You really do have to do some unusual thinks to track these things down. Probably why professional mecanics usually can't find the source of these things when you take your car in for service. They aren't willing to go the extra mile (in the trunk) to find them:D . On my other car (87 MR2) I was tracking down problems with smoking, stalling and a loud rattling from the rear where the engine is. I couldn't figure out what was happening until I raised the car about 4 inches and lay with my head underneath the engine and exhaust system with the engine running (clogged cat).

On my Rex I have a few creaks from my dash area, my seatbelt mechanism and some in the area of my front swaybar bushings that I need to track down and repair.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Darkstar said:
You may think I’m a little weird, but I went as far as taking a little ride in the trunk to find out where its coming from. I jumped right in the trunk and had someone else drive.
That is hilarious! Too bad you didn't get any pictures of that :p I haven't really had any squeaks except those coming from my exhaust.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i used to have a hatchback eclipse so squeaks dont bother me...but i have a like...leak...or something in my driver side window weatherstripping...at higherspeeds w/ the windows up i can hear air coming in.....

...maybe this is from racing up to 120 w/ the front windows down?....probably wasnt a good idea....but the guy pulled up next to me.....an AWD talon....and revved...and took off...so i didnt have time......

-kris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone's turbo rattled in the lower spool up points? I think it is the turbo but I can't be too sure. It only does it when I "step on the gas cause I like to" and goes away around 2300 RPM or so. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
homerbethy said:
Has anyone's turbo rattled in the lower spool up points? I think it is the turbo but I can't be too sure. It only does it when I "step on the gas cause I like to" and goes away around 2300 RPM or so. Any ideas?
Just checking to see if you have fixed the problem yet if not, what mods do you have? Have you done any intake mods or exaust?
My car started to make a rattle sound in the lower RPM range after I did the MRT cold air intake. It also could be a lose exaust hanger.!Thumbs Up

·
Registered
9 Posts
No. Checked all the hangers and such. She has done this almost since I have gotten her. I don't think it is affecting performance but, it is pretty annoying. Could it be the cat in the up-pipe has some loose stuff in it?

·
Registered
311 Posts
homerbethy said:
No. Checked all the hangers and such. She has done this almost since I have gotten her. I don't think it is affecting performance but, it is pretty annoying. Could it be the cat in the up-pipe has some loose stuff in it?
Well I certainly hope it isn't stuff rattling around in your up-pipe or else your looking at a blown turbo before long. Is your car stock? If so take it to the dealer to have it checked.

·
Registered
38 Posts
dude just put in a nice sound system so u can crank that squeeqe and rattle out of your mind. lol. joking but really how bad could the sound possibly be for all that extra agrevation?

·
Registered
21 Posts
BoostedBoxer said:
i used to have a hatchback eclipse so squeaks dont bother me...but i have a like...leak...or something in my driver side window weatherstripping...at higherspeeds w/ the windows up i can hear air coming in.....

-kris
I have this problem too. So does a friend of mine in his WRX. Rolling the window down and then back up eliminates our wind noises. My passengers must think I'm nuts rolling my window down and back up on the highway. I've also had the squeek in the window once, but not all the time. Window gaskets cold/wet? Also dash squeeks, but rarely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
noobracer said:
My front window makes a god awful squeak every time i open and close it. It sucks does anyone else have this problem.
God I hate that, I have found that this is due to road salt. If you take your door apart(like to put in new speakers) and clean the window ride bruches this will go away until next winter. Or at least it did for me(but its winter again back to overly salted roads).!Cry!

·
Registered
285 Posts
DetroitWRX said:

God I hate that, I have found that this is due to road salt. If you take your door apart(like to put in new speakers) and clean the window ride bruches this will go away until next winter. Or at least it did for me(but its winter again back to overly salted roads).!Cry!

Mine also does it, but I've found that it's when the window rubber sills are dirty,so check that out. Other than that, I've heard none of the other noises you guys mention...

·
Registered
144 Posts
noobracer said:
My front window makes a god awful squeak every time i open and close it. It sucks does anyone else have this problem.
I get it too. Not only that, every time I wash my car I get a streak on my window when rolling it up and down for like 3 days! How long does it take to dry? Too long if you ask me. Seems like there is always wetness in there.:(

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the usual window squeak from the drivers side forward rubber section that could be temorarily treated with an application of ArmourAll to the rubber seals. Then I installed the JDM Side Visors above the windows. Part of the installation involves pulling the top part of the window seals out of their track to attach the visor brackets. Getting the seals back in right was a bit of a challenge but now the windows squeak from the top of the seals. The point is that squeaks from the window seal rubber may be caused by slight shifting or stretching of the rubber in the tracks. Just an idea but maybe some squeaks could be improved by slight adjustments in the rubber one way or another.

Dale

·
Registered
10 Posts
noobracer said:

All I did was take some silicon spray and spray it in the front corner of the track and it took care of the squeak.

·
Registered
85 Posts
>You really do have to do some unusual thinks to track these things down. Probably why professional mecanics usually can't find the source of these things when you take your car in for service. They aren't willing to go the extra mile (in the trunk) to find them.<

I highly disagree with this statement. I was a Suby Tech for about a year or so who specialized in drivablity concerns. In all of the dealers I have worked for as a tech, they have always had one person who did this sort of thing for CSI reasons. Pulling from my own experiance, I have also dealt with cars that I could not duplicate the concern of the customer. That comes with the territory. I wouldn't be so quick to write off the dealer unless they are overtly sloppy with thier quality of work.

BTW, with Suby's window tracks, Silicon is your best freind. Infact, the dealer I worked for lubed them every 15k service.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
either silicon spray, or stuff made by kimball midwest called dry-lube, its a ptfe lubricant in a alcohol carrier, sprays on liquid, dries to a nice, slick, teflon lubricant! awesome stuff, i use it daily for annoying cars (and customers!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts