Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard it is more complicated to go from auto to manual. but just out of curiosity, how much (roughly) would it cost me to do a tranny swap. STI 6-speed from the 4eat. i heard other things need to be replaced... i just want a ball park figure... like 5K? 6K?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Before you consider price... (Sorry to still not answer your price question) It would be a nightmare and super time consuming. If your REX is your primary mode of transport, I would make sure you had a back up or rides for a while.

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
new pedals are REQUIRED. The auto gas petal is not going to work let alone the fact that, amazingly, you need a clutch petal. New petals introduce a HOST of related issues.

Modern cars (say, after 1980) are not reasonable to go auto to manual or vice versa (with a few expections). It's easier to sell your car and buy one with the right kind of tranny. Much cheaper and much easier.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
see thats my problem... I mean at first i just wanted the damn WRX, almost 2 effin years... I wasnt into cars until my sophmore year of college, and now as a senior I love cars... and the WRX is the one car that I had more cons than anything... awd, good for snow in CT, fast, looks hella nice, and LOVE the noise, so I saw a good deal on my wrx... but it was automatic, and easier to convince my parents into buying it, yes they said theyd buy me a car, and i chipped in too. Now the damn problem is, I dont feel like investing in this 4eat cus its a slow bastard... well i mean still fast compared to most, but SLOW vs manual. Everyone bashing me for having a 4eat wrx is really getting on me, and I understand this completely. So i dont know if i should just keep it stock and maybe in 2 years get a manual, or modd the hell out of a 4eat....

reason why i cant just sell and get a manual is cus first off, my parents will be pissed, 2, I dont think a dealership would give me a good deal for my car b/c its a auto wrx...

i do love the car otherwise, got the sound, the looks, the awd, but not the GO GO GO

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I try to avoid mentioning nasioc, but if you do a search there I'm sure you'll find a more satisfying answer. I agree with what everyone has said here (that it'd be much easier to sell your wrx for a manual) , but at the same time I can see why you'd want to do the swap. If you are mechanically inclined and have a spare car to drive it might be worth it, but if you're going to pay for labor too... forget it.

·
Premium Member
8,049 Posts
Thats pretty good but the OP asked about going from automatic to manual. A friend of mine has a 2001 Camaro SS that is an automatic. Hes got the torque converter in his and it drives pretty normal unless you get on it. But I dont know if its similar with a WRX or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, my ‘13 outback recently blew up its cvt, error codes read torque converter and control system failure. I have been looking for an excuse to swap a manual into the car. I am aware that it is far more worth it to sell the car and buy one that is manual. But I am still willing to commit to the pain staking process and ab 3 months to swap the transmission.

However I don’t think I can restore the Subie back to stock, I no longer have the original wheels and the lug pattern is now 5x 114.3, a rear mount spare, has a 3” lift kit that took 72hrs to put on, a train horn, PA system, roof rack, complete with 3kw of lights, subwoofer, aftermarket radio, sound deadening and heat insulation through out, extended rear (forged steel) rear control arms, chassis mount front bull bar, fron tow point (chasis mount shackle), and after market injectors, and spark plugs. All that i did in my driveway myself.

I have helped swap engines and transmissions on friends cars before. In order to manual swap I am planning on buying a manual transmission, clutch and flywheel, clutch lines and cylinder, manual brake pedal, manual clutch pedal, manual ecu, all manual interior pieces, manual transmission wiring harness and control module, manual cv axels, manual ecu, manual rear diff, manual drive shaft, manual transmission mounts, and all the odds and ends I would need to complete the process.

I do have enough tools to do this. Do you guys have any tips for me to complete the process, and does anyone know if a Subaru dealership can tune/program my ecu correctly if it’s not oem? Because I am most definitely not capable to tune an ecu to run properly.

Similarly am I missing anything for the swap?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts