Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the basic differences between those two IC's, one is up fron if it gets hit you're f-ed the other ones up top, but which one does really give out power more, n cooling the engine? Which one would YOU choose n why? STi got an top IC and doesnt seem to be bad if it hits 0-60 in ~4.8..

·
Registered
7 Posts
the front mount has more surface area so it will give you better cooling but alittle more lag cause its farther from the turbo. the top mount will give you less lag but cant provide as much cool as the front mount.

top mounts are good for smaller turbos that dont require as much cooling such as vf30

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is there even a point in replacing the stock TMIC if you have the stock turbo???

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Really what it comes down to is, you do not need to touch your IC until you touch your turbo.
If you put a big ass front mount intercooler, then your little stock turbo will be working its ass off to pull air through that piping. And having a bigger TMIC is totally unnecessary.. its like a 1000 dollars for something that wont make a difference to you at this time...
If you are looking for upgrades, I would suggest bigger turbo, fuel injectors and tuning as a start. Then IC, exhaust, spinners, etc.

jus my 2cent.

·
Registered
706 Posts
eighth08 said:
Really what it comes down to is, you do not need to touch your IC until you touch your turbo.
If you put a big ass front mount intercooler, then your little stock turbo will be working its ass off to pull air through that piping. And having a bigger TMIC is totally unnecessary.. its like a 1000 dollars for something that wont make a difference to you at this time...
If you are looking for upgrades, I would suggest bigger turbo, fuel injectors and tuning as a start. Then IC, exhaust, spinners, etc.

jus my 2cent.
id have to disagree... i think you may want to get all the exhaust bits out of the way before you go getting a bigger turbo and are raising boost. the stock up and downpipes arent intended to be run with any more boost than 13.5. get some sort of EM (accessport or utec) and at least and up and downpipe, then move on from there with bigger turbos/ injectors. !Thumbs Up

·
Registered
706 Posts
just to add to this as a quick solution for youre increased intake cooling desires... i have heard that by getting longer intercooler bolts and putting some sort of spacer in between the mounts and the actual intercooler will cool it down a little bit. i would like to see the evidence of this but i was just told about it the other day myself. it does make sense for a couple reasons. one being that its a bit further off the engine. 2 its as better flow with the stock hood scoop. another idea that i did the other day at the track (and actually dropped .2 seconds from trying it is disconnecting the window washer line from under the hood and spraying down the intercooler with it before a run. free and easy intercooler sprayer replacement... sorta...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Already have up and down pipes and EM. I was just wondering if there was ANY advantage to upgrading to a better TMIC; sounds like the answer is no. What I *don't* want to do is upgrade piecemeal... sounds like I will need a new intercooler and injectors with a new turbo. But getting all the stuff in one lump is gonna be $$$. So I may have to do it in a couple of steps... and thats gonna suck

·
Registered
142 Posts
Herknav said:
Already have up and down pipes and EM. I was just wondering if there was ANY advantage to upgrading to a better TMIC; sounds like the answer is no. What I *don't* want to do is upgrade piecemeal... sounds like I will need a new intercooler and injectors with a new turbo. But getting all the stuff in one lump is gonna be $$$. So I may have to do it in a couple of steps... and thats gonna suck
I would have to say yes, especialy if you have a utec so you can tune for the difference (although probably minor). finish up with youre exhaust, then get tmic, tubro and injectors (needed at same time) and retune.

BTW, FMIC>all

·
Premium Member
6,794 Posts
Herknav,

To upgrade the turbo you need injectors and a fuel pump over what you already have (EM, up/dp). The intercooler can be done before or after. The upgraded FMIC vs a nice upgraded TMIC is kinda overkill unless you're getting a rather large turbo (>VF34).

But that's all second hand info so take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
No one is saying you CAN'T run a TMIC with a large turbo. What they are saying is that to get the most out of ALL that air you're flowing, it's best to go with a FMIC, which can overcome the pressure drop, overcome the extra core size and benefit from minimal heatsoak and cooler charge temperatures.

Blue

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Stock turbo use stock IC, upgrade your turbo get a better intercooler, ether one will work. Huge turbo best bet front mount

·
Registered
350 Posts
TMIC will lessen the lag of you're turbo... especially the stock turbo... FMIC for stock turbo is useless because it will cause more lag... u can run bigger TMIC with bigger turbos, but there is only a certain amount of power u can extract from a TMIC... with a bigger turbo a FMIC will help because of its greater air capacity and cooling abilities... for example... u could reach like 300 something hp with a bigger TMIC and bigger turbo, but there is a limit to it... TMIC will have faster spooling, FMIC may have turbo lag, but u can reach greater hp with a greater turbo... stock turbo, keep the TMIC, once u go crazier with you're turbo mods and fuel injectors, etc, go for a FMIC...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm getting sti pink injectors, fuel pump, and most likely a vf34. Now if am putting this all together I won't NEED a FMIC. but if I don't need one and I get one, will it allow me to get more hp than a tmic?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
wrxroy said:
I'm getting sti pink injectors, fuel pump, and most likely a vf34. Now if am putting this all together I won't NEED a FMIC. but if I don't need one and I get one, will it allow me to get more hp than a tmic?
I wouldn't say more HP but more TQ and FMIC will also allow you to run higher boost for longer with no heat soak. Just keep in mind that you will get 200-300 RPM lag on your Turbo using a FMIC instead of the TMIC...so a VF34 I think you will be fine with a TMIC....but I went with a Front Mount when I put a VF34 on and it worked out just fine...I suggest a FMIC now just for future upgrade sake...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.