Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright im using this newbie forum to my advantage so i dont get flamed by you guys (as bad). I plan on moving up from my gruppe-s stage 2, after 10,000 miles of it I finally got bored. Basically whats going on is im getting a FMIC and whichever Turbo I choose (undecided), Besides the supporing mods (physically) Can I throw this stuff on and not have it tuned for a while? Talking a few weeks mabye couple months?

1: FMIC on stock turbo will throw CEL? I heard the lag stuff, I dont care about that, b/c I am getting somthing to compensate for it soon after I install it, But i will be running a front mount with stock turbo for a while, is this okay?

2: Turbo with no tuning? Lets say somthing like v34/v39, Can I make it? Or should i save for a good tune before i mess with it, Can i even drive it to the tuner after i install this crap?

3: Do they totally thrash your car when they "tune" it? Im going to gruppe-S , supposedly reputable. I know I have a pro-tune by gruppe s, but thats because i knew a guy who sold is 06, and he sold me his entire pro-tuned stage 2 setup for 1200. My friend just put a supercharger on his celica, and they did like 10, wrechid runs on that thing man, It totally freaked me out about getting my car tuned.

Im a newb, go easy

·
Registered
763 Posts
1 - FMIC will not throw a CEL if you install it before the tune.
2 - You will F-up your motor if you put a bigger turbo on and drive it without a new tune the way that you drove it with the stocker. Your A/F ratios will be all out of whack and you could way over boost. You should talk to the tuner. They might send you a safe map to get you to the tune or have you limp it there. Technically you could drive it if you take it easy and stay out of boost, it is kind of hard to do.
3 - They are gonna put your car on the dyno and run it WOT from 2K all the way to redline to tune it. It isn't the easiest thing on your car. There is always a risk when you are putting stress on the system like that, but they have a lot of experience and it should be fine. I drive that way every day.

·
Registered
419 Posts
like it was aid before, if you BABY it all the way there then yeah, i suppose you'll be fine, but dont hit crazy boost because both of those turbos are pushing a lot more air into the motor

·
WRXpert
1,810 Posts
NO... it's as simple as that...

If you drop on a FMIC you will need a tune to readjust your A/Fs.. Sure it will run but not safely and to it's full potential..

You CAN NOT drop on a larger turbo and supporting mods with out a tune.. The reason is very simple.. You will need larger injectors which will have a different flow rate and valve timing then the stockers so the stock fuel map is no good.. The larger turbo will have a larger flow rate then the TD04 so there fore your Fuel map will be even further off..

If you have to put it on and drive to the tuner NO BOOST at all.. And don't drive far.. Trailer it if at all possible... That is "IF" it starts...

·
Registered
84 Posts
i dont understand why there's such a rush to put these parts on untuned. you're absolutely not gaining anything by bolting them on without a tune so why risk almost definite damage to your car? it seems these types of questions pop up alot

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wait a sec. So you guys are saying that even with his stage 2 protuned Cobb that he can`t do any more engine mods , or at least not the fmic, with out another protune? I had read in other threads about stock , no EM guys runninig a front mount and didnt get this same reaction. Are you guys just talking about the ic or the ic and turbo?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is there any reason you are going with such a small turbo choice? Just a suggestion but since you do have the 2.5 you might want to go with 18g or 20g. And if you can afford the turbo and fmic there should be no reason you can't afford a tow truck. Good Luck with all that let us know what happens!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
still deciding really. I geusse i wasnt planning on driving with the turbo on for long at all, i just wanted to run the FMIC for a while till i got the turbo, then when i get the turbo, install it and take it to the tuner, i geusse i kinda of regret posting this thread lol it was a retard question, I think I will just be patient, and when i have EVERYTHING i need for my next stage up, ill install all at once, and take it to get tuned, ill let u guys know though.

My main question was tho if i can run a fmic without a tune or turbo or anything. But thats all over the forum here so ya.

·
Registered
30 Posts
still deciding really. I geusse i wasnt planning on driving with the turbo on for long at all, i just wanted to run the FMIC for a while till i got the turbo, then when i get the turbo, install it and take it to the tuner, i geusse i kinda of regret posting this thread lol it was a retard question, I think I will just be patient, and when i have EVERYTHING i need for my next stage up, ill install all at once, and take it to get tuned, ill let u guys know though.

My main question was tho if i can run a fmic without a tune or turbo or anything. But thats all over the forum here so ya.

i dont see why not.. are you stage 2 right now? if you wanna go fmic id say get a 20g!Thumbs Up

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know, Ugh I kind of regret getting the FMIC but its already on its way, and i got a good deal so i figure if i get it tuned It will be fine with 34 or 39. I know its not worth the all that trouble to install the FMIC just for a 34 but oh well. I was thinking about getting a 20g But like detuning it so i dont need bigger injectors, just so i can have it in case i ever want more power, but seriously ive always been happy with my stage 2 but my friend (BithellWgn06) has buttered me up for more power, so im sure i will be fine with the 34, plus i plan on babying my poor transmission until i save up for the ppg's (bleh) One guy on wrxmodders was telling me the first day he had his 20g tuned on his car, he burnt up his clutch right away it was like 320whp or somthing!!!! So i wanna steer away from that.

Anyways, thanks all for your input and not flaming me (too much =P)..Greatly appreciated and taken into consideration!!!!!!

About the tow truck thing, I work to much and its my only mode of transportation, but i go on a trip to france for 10 days in april, mabye ill have a trustworthy fellow wrx friend (you know who you are) take it to get tuned for me while im gone =)~~

thanks again!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stage 2 with gruppe-S tune...makin like 209hp and 240 tq (on bragging rights), Can I make a 20g "detuned" so i can run lower then usual boost, and run my stock injectors on my 06, but still make more power then stock? (around 250-280whp is all im looking for)

·
Registered
30 Posts
stage 2 with gruppe-S tune...makin like 209hp and 240 tq (on bragging rights), Can I make a 20g "detuned" so i can run lower then usual boost, and run my stock injectors on my 06, but still make more power then stock? (around 250-280whp is all im looking for)
if you only looking for 280whp id say get a 18g 8cm housing. its cheap and pretty good turbo. 18g is bigger than vf34 you could also go fmic with 18g and you will probably make more power than me!Thumbs Up but its all up to you bro... i am hella happy with my set up right now. car pulls so hard and im lovin it:sneaky: i feel like i could smoke any cars out there:rocks:

·
Registered
1 Posts
NO... it's as simple as that...

If you drop on a FMIC you will need a tune to readjust your A/Fs.. Sure it will run but not safely and to it's full potential..

You CAN NOT drop on a larger turbo and supporting mods with out a tune.. The reason is very simple.. You will need larger injectors which will have a different flow rate and valve timing then the stockers so the stock fuel map is no good.. The larger turbo will have a larger flow rate then the TD04 so there fore your Fuel map will be even further off..

If you have to put it on and drive to the tuner NO BOOST at all.. And don't drive far.. Trailer it if at all possible... That is "IF" it starts...
You don’t need a tune for an fmic... your not changing the amount of air coming in your changing the location and getting rid of some heat soak. The only thing you need a tune for is the CAI because the factory airbox won’t fit anymore. So if your running cobb and you go fmic the only real tune you need is the stage 1+ or stage 3 if you have the upgraded 1050x fuel system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts