Subaru WRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Premium Member
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It's a double whammy. We release rediculous quantities into the air AND we destroy the vast majority of plant life on the globe. The ultimate carbon release is burning a rainforest which we seem to do all the time. Gotta make room for cattle by burning the greatest CO2 sponge imaginable. Which of course since you're burning it as well makes even more CO2. And the whole thing is only worth a few bucks an acre anyway. We're so stupid sometimes it kills me.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
So after your earlier post I'm guessing you're some sort of chemistry nut... That was and always will be my weakest subject. Barely squeaked a 2.0 in college and I graduated with honors:eek:
chemistry tutor at Kent state, going for my RN. i dont know, i just find it easy. you just have to remember tons of math formulas, names for molecules and read IUPAC names and common names. if you can remember names of other things you can remember names for a lot of things. The math isn’t easy but the way I was taught and I teach it makes it so much easier!

· Registered
7 Posts
California owners are advised to keep their stock down/mid pipe, so it can be reinstalled for the CA smog test/visual inspection.

Thanks mosc!
hey, I just bought a heavy modded 03. Everything from my turbo back is wrapped in a heat shroud(cloth) how do i know If my down pipe has a CAT? It obviously passed smog because i got it at a dealership along with the list of up grades.

Thanks....

· Registered
1,541 Posts
^^it is totally NOT obvious that it passed just because you bought it at a dealer. a dealer isnt the DMV, they dont check for stuff like that nor do they do sniffer tests. the only way you'll know if you pass is when you get your plates, the DMV tests you. if your DP has a CAT it will have a 8-9 inch section of pipe that is larger then the rest. the DP should be 3" and a CAT will be more like 5-6 inches in diameter.

· Registered
4 Posts
fthe the tree thing, dont worry about it, the rain forest is only count as a quarter of all trees in the world. 2/3 of them are up there in canada/russia you know above in the snow caps.

What you need 2 worry about is 2012 :)

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi .. I have an 05sti I recently bought an injen Catted downpipe .. My question is .. If when changing the downpipe , the car needs to be tunned? Or is it safe to run it without being tuned? Also if an accesport would do the job instead of me taking the car to get tunned

· Registered
1,570 Posts
Now .. When the car is tunned .would I be able to pass smog test ? I'm in California .. Or can I just change downpipe to stock without tunning again?
Assuming one has a "quality" tune, you should only need to swap the pipes. The "high" rpm test is still under 3000rpm (2500rpm I think) for a CA no-dyno standstill sniffer test (which is what applies to us since our cars are AWD and most test centers will only have one roller). At that rpm your tune should be running clean (enough to pass). After this month's CA smog inspection, I will have swapped the pipe without changing my tune for the 4th consecutive time (over 7-8 years).

· Premium Member
2,211 Posts
No, that one is for the 08-14 wrx/sti. Yes, a tune is recommended for the addition of a header. Your tuner could probably do a retune or touch up tune for a discounted rate.

· Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Adair, I'm pretty certain that 02-14 Wrx, 04-07sti and 05-09 LGT all share the same manni.

As for power gains you're not looking at a whole lot. You'd be better off doing an intake,downpipe,bigger IC and a tune. Than when you're ready for larger turbo, you buy that and fuel upgrades and your set....with a new tune.
Headers aren't a popular thing on our cars because gain is minimal for the big buck you'd spend. Equal length will give you a touch more gain, but you'll lose the boxer rumble by doing that..... No bueno IMHO

· Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Adair, I'm pretty certain that 02-14 Wrx, 04-07sti and 05-09 LGT all share the same manni.
Just going off what the description on oaks said. I do know the oil cooler, turbo placement, and oil pan differences between models can make ir break a header fitment. Im guessing it won't fit or at least need some slight modification to fit or they would have listed it for that model. Ill research more and see if I can find out for sure later.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Okay, found this. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2093687 should have all the info you need to know plus some on this headers fitment.

And for @mosc

I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.