Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 04 wrx. it has a cobb stage 2 tune. Full catless exhaust. I'm interested in aftermarket cams but my engine is stock. I also don't wanna lose any low end power because I don't have alot to start with. Would cams make it worse? would I see and gain of having cams with a stock motor? What if I bore my head's and put oversized valves in? I love the sound of stage 2 cams. Any advice or input would be helpful.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Think about it this way, for a similar price and much less labor you could squeeze say another 50-100whp out of your car by upgrading your turbo and supporting mods.... and not even a much bigger turbo...

I personally do not believe you should think about doing any head work if you don't need to squeeze any extra power because you're reaching the peak flow of your heads with your current setup... certainly not on Stage 2.

On the flip side, if you're putting in a built short block, and have to be in there and you plan on putting a large turbo later, then maybe it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Just keep in mind you'll be shifting your powerband higher up (so even though you will have a gain, with a stock turbo you're actually moving the power higher up where the stock turbo is falling on its face). It's probably a better idea to have those two factors matched... IE, cams AND bigger turbo that takes longer to spool but keeps power to red line would be a better fit.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Please research more before posting questions.

So you want cams, but are still on an OTS map with no intake and no pro-tune? Sounds like you need to read up on your car, it's mods, and how to spend money efficiently... check these links before you do anything else to the car.

Newbies need to realize the wrx is meant to be a sporty fun DD for the streets that most anyone should be able to handle safely with common sense, and if they want more then they need to shell out $$$ for upgrades or go with the STi if they can't see modding the car worth the investment.

Your stock heads are good for 400+ hp, and as Ruso mentioned your biggest limiting factor is the snail under the hood as it chokes out after 5500-6k RPMs. Another thing people need to learn is to understand exactly what they want from their build before they start planning on a big 500whp turbo or those silly BC 282 cams. If you're looking for something that is as boring as a honda civic below 5k RPMs until the turbo spools then sure, go dumb sized cams on a stock 7k RPM 2.0L but I'm warning you that you will be upset when you can't DD the car and have the same amount of fun/when you get walked by a stage 2 2.0l/when your fuel economy drops to 15MPG because you have to stay above 4k RPMs for any usable power/and when you blow up your engine because you didn't build it the right way the first time.

Rant over. Search search search, read and more searching. I can't stand buttercoating my newb bashing or bashing at all, but as a car enthusiast from multiple forums and being a trained auto tech/engine builder I can't stand the same questions every year for 10 years. If you want info we're happy to help, but you can't help someone who doesn't help themselves.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Simple answer is no.
You have people out there making 500+hp on the stock cams. Also the "sound" of the bigger cams will be gone once it is tuned correctly. The videos you are watching on Youtube where the cars sound like a V8 are not tuned. Also by the time you'll need cams you'd have so much money invested in your car you'd of been better off buying a Ferrari or Corvette or Camaro SS or even a Mustang GT with exhaust and a tune.

Reactions: titter

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please research more before posting questions.

So you want cams, but are still on an OTS map with no intake and no pro-tune? Sounds like you need to read up on your car, it's mods, and how to spend money efficiently... check these links before you do anything else to the car.

Newbies need to realize the wrx is meant to be a sporty fun DD for the streets that most anyone should be able to handle safely with common sense, and if they want more then they need to shell out $$$ for upgrades or go with the STi if they can't see modding the car worth the investment.

Your stock heads are good for 400+ hp, and as Ruso mentioned your biggest limiting factor is the snail under the hood as it chokes out after 5500-6k RPMs. Another thing people need to learn is to understand exactly what they want from their build before they start planning on a big 500whp turbo or those silly BC 282 cams. If you're looking for something that is as boring as a honda civic below 5k RPMs until the turbo spools then sure, go dumb sized cams on a stock 7k RPM 2.0L but I'm warning you that you will be upset when you can't DD the car and have the same amount of fun/when you get walked by a stage 2 2.0l/when your fuel economy drops to 15MPG because you have to stay above 4k RPMs for any usable power/and when you blow up your engine because you didn't build it the right way the first time.

Rant over. Search search search, read and more searching. I can't stand buttercoating my newb bashing or bashing at all, but as a car enthusiast from multiple forums and being a trained auto tech/engine builder I can't stand the same questions every year for 10 years. If you want info we're happy to help, but you can't help someone who doesn't help themselves.
Theyre asking the question because theyve done research and havent found anything, thats why theyre asking the question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts