Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i jus picked up a silver wrx 10/28 cant wait till im done with break in period and i wanted to know if there is a list of things i should know about the car as a brand new owner!!! write back thx
specific... is the idle a little rough on all wrx's when new and does it stay like that. should i warm up and/or cool down the turbo are u supposed to hear a ticking like the sound of valve timing???
Thx

·
Registered
311 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase! The two things you mentioned (rough idle and ticking valves) are completely normal for a WRX. You'll get used to the little peculiarities that make our cars,.. err,.. unique !Thumbs Up The rough idling is simply because you have pistons moving horizontally. That inertia isn't being dampened by the suspension as it would be in more vertical configurations. And the valves,.. they're just saying hi :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thx a bunch for the imput i can no understand them both but any imput on the turbo cool down and warm up?
:confused:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well you should always allow your car to warm up before getting aggressive! Cooling down the turbo is officially not required according to Subaru, the design of the cooling system keeps coolant flowing through the turbo after the engine is shut down, but use your own judgement if you've just been running it hard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i never run my car hardtil its a normal operating temp......and i use my trusty human turbo timer and usually give liek 2 and a half-3 minutes od idle before i turn it off after running hard

my .02

·
Registered
7 Posts
I normally just let my car idle for about a minute and drive slow until normal operating tempertures. That way I warm up my other fluids. Remember just because your coolant is warm doesn't mean all your other fluids are at the right temp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts