Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your turbo and boost readings supposed to be doing at 5th gear with your gas pedal floored? Did really find a answer when I searched.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I am being vague I just want to know what the normal behavior for the abouve variables? Boost behavior, Readings and is the boost supposed to BE charged? or should there be no boost charged at WOT

·
Registered
293 Posts
yeah i know for sure in 3rd and fourth but never push 5th that hard so i cant really say if it backs down. Crap man how fast are you tring to go you should b over 120 in 4th. Boost creep is bad on the 2.5 even with em in 5th

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I am not racing but I will be on the highway at like sixty ish MPH in fifth and want to pass people normally and change lanes floor it lightly to WOT. The car will pick up real quick obiviously and boost guage and laptop logger will read 17.99 PSI(been monitering it)
but i get mesmorized because the boost will just stay there unless I lay off the gas. when I race it it runs normal like you described it boosts normal at high speeds and higher rpm shifts. i guess i am just curious at why it does this behavior at a more i guess a relaxed speed increase. Hope this makes sense?

·
Registered
293 Posts
it is boost creep you will get it in 5th when passing,climbing a hill, it just happens I just downshift if I need the power kinda just got use to doing it without thinking I rarly ever accelerate in 5th any more.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is boost creep you will get it in 5th when passing,climbing a hill, it just happens I just downshift if I need the power kinda just got use to doing it without thinking I rarly ever accelerate in 5th any more.
Yeah i know what you are saying I agree with down shift if i was going all out but you know when you are just passing a couple of cars, :sneaky: you know our cars passes them quick i just thought to be eaiser on the trans and engine by just acceralating i was just wondering why the boost does that.

Thank for your responses too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
no problem but i cant really explain why but i know what your saying. if u figure out how to get rid of the creeping let me know.

·
Registered
549 Posts
so this is bad? I did not realize I guess that that was boost creep....I mean, I can do that but my boost will still taper down like normal.....Maybe the protune makes difference?

·
Registered
137 Posts
If I am doing about 60-65 mph in 4th or 5th gear and I slam the gas down to the floor I boost up to 20psi according to my boost gauge, and about 22psi on the laptop logger, I dont get any knock at all. But as the RPM's go up the boost levels out to about 18.5 psi just as I have my car set up to do. (Max boost on my tune is 18.5psi at any RPM) but it will creep past that if I am at a lower RPM in 4th or 5th gear. But it shoots you past the slow drivers alright.

What mods do you exactally have done? I am only running such high psi becasue of running the TurboXS Utec Delta and a huge top mount intercooler and always running on 93 octane and the lucas octane booster which is said to up it to 96 octane.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I forgot to add that if you are on a stock turbo the higher your RPM goes up the more the turbo cant keep up, that is why you always see the boost taper off after 4500 rpm. It is just something that the VF34 cant handle as well. In a racing situation, or when I really smash the gas off at light or a dead stop the boost will quick hit 19psi or so and than drop back to around 17.5 / 18psi. But I think you notice this creep past what you have your boost level set at in higher gears becasue your rpm does not increase as quickley if you are already doing 60mph. When Racing I just shift into 4th gear making my pass just a little over 107mph. I have never really taken it much past that from a stop, but I have hit past 140mph on the interstate boosting at around 20psi the entire time in 4th or 5th gear

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am running the stock turbo
XPT 2
Tanabe TBE
APS intake

The same hear there is no knock and the performs great when I want it to take off. When I am just taking it easy like something simple as passing cars casually I think it gets confused.

Sounds like we have the same issue if it is even bad at all I don't know.

·
Registered
100 Posts
are you using a mbc. on a stock turbo on a wrx 06 + u should be safely hitting 15.5-16psi. if you have it pro tuned to be at 18 then i guess thats ok but i wouldn't do it. your stock turbo is out of its efficiency. oh and if your running that high of boost your restrictor pill in your turbo line might be affecting that. i don't know why u would hit 20 psi in a stock wrx turbo NOT GOOD

·
Registered
100 Posts
YOU GUYS SHOULD NOT BE HITTING 20 psi ON A STOCK WRX TURBO DOGGIE NOT AT ALL.YOU WILLCAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR CARS

1 - 20 of 26 Posts