Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2017 wrx. the battery has been intermittently failing on me starting about 3 months ago and over the past few days it's been happening a lot. i'm having a hard time accepting that it's the battery though for a few reasons. 1) a friend has a meter to check the battery health (after the first time the battery was dead) and everything looked fine. 2) the battery isn't even 3 years old. 3) the battery only seems to fail after highway driving. yesterday i drove 30 minutes on the highway. i reached my destination and after two hours there it was time to go home and my car re-started fine. drove home, parked the car and then 15 minutes later it wouldn't start. i live seconds off the highway just for reference. what's strange is that i can do city driving for the same amount of time with no issues. this morning i needed a jump start again. i drove to work which is a 12 mile all highway ride. i fully expected that my car wouldn't start when i left work today but it did. but then i stopped for gas on the highway on the way home after driving for 10 minutes. car wouldn't restart. this makes no sense- the car needs a jump start to get to work, sits in a lot all day for 8 hours and starts fine. i drive it on the highway for 10 minutes which if anything should be charging the battery but noooooo...it drains the battery. it's still under warranty and i have an appointment at the dealership but not for another 10 days so i figured i'd see if i could get any answers here. thanks to anyone who can weigh in on this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2017 wrx. the battery has been intermittently failing on me starting about 3 months ago and over the past few days it's been happening a lot. i'm having a hard time accepting that it's the battery though for a few reasons. 1) a friend has a meter to check the battery health (after the first time the battery was dead) and everything looked fine. 2) the battery isn't even 3 years old. 3) the battery only seems to fail after highway driving. yesterday i drove 30 minutes on the highway. i reached my destination and after two hours there it was time to go home and my car re-started fine. drove home, parked the car and then 15 minutes later it wouldn't start. i live seconds off the highway just for reference. what's strange is that i can do city driving for the same amount of time with no issues. this morning i needed a jump start again. i drove to work which is a 12 mile all highway ride. i fully expected that my car wouldn't start when i left work today but it did. but then i stopped for gas on the highway on the way home after driving for 10 minutes. car wouldn't restart. this makes no sense- the car needs a jump start to get to work, sits in a lot all day for 8 hours and starts fine. i drive it on the highway for 10 minutes which if anything should be charging the battery but noooooo...it drains the battery. it's still under warranty and i have an appointment at the dealership but not for another 10 days so i figured i'd see if i could get any answers here. thanks to anyone who can weigh in on this.
The batteries in Subarus are notoriously bad. I had the same kind of issue and I changed the battery out for a small AGM battery I got off of Subispeed and I have had no issues since then

1 - 2 of 2 Posts