Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an 06 WRX TR with uel headers, catless dp, and q300 exhaust. The q300 is supposedly a deeper tone, but mine sound like a horn from the brass section of the orchestra. If I put a straight pipe in place of the resonator, will it help?

Any other ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I cant speak to your particular setup but resonators are generally used to help lower the overall tone. most people tend to complain about high pitched noises that resonators tend to help manage.

If you are unhappy with the tone and you have UEL headers and a catless down pipe already the first thing I would look for is an exhaust leak. typically UEL headers and a catless down pipe makes most people pretty happy, if your Q300 isnt your cup of tea I might recommend using something with more resonator volume and a larger muffler like a borla or something similar. I have heard the classic melon launcher ( q300 or similar) versus a borla or similar muffler setup and my ears definitely prefer mufflers to round exhaust cannons. But thats just my ears.

Take it with a grain of sand but i would start by checking for exhaust leaks first, then look for exhausts with larger resonator volume ( CC not dB ) and listen to them on the same car so you can figure out in what ways they change the tone.

Hope that helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts