Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 WRX: I was hearing a strange noise and brought the car into the dealership where (Murphy's Law) they were unable to recreate the noise. Got it back and noise got worse over 3 days. Popped the hood and saw that the AC compressor clutch was occasionally seizing up while the belt was still going around it, causing the noise. Running the AC helped reduce the seizing, but did not stop it. Brought it back to dealer and they said they want to replace the compressor and, since the power steering fluid was leaking, replace that pump, too. $1800, please. I told them to cut the AC belt and give me my car back.

What i can see with my eyes and terribly limited mechanic knowledge is that the spring on the clutch is broken. I have researched how to replace this and it looks well within my range of abilities. Could it be possible that the broken spring is what was causing the seizing of the clutch?

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hmm, someone correct me if I'm wrong... but if the spring was causing the compressor pulley (the part that spins freely when the clutch is engaged) was seized to the inner part (the part on the shaft) then you would simply have the AC compressor going all the time.

My worry would be that the reason the spring is broken is that the compressor itself is seizing which caused excessive pressure on the spring for whatever reason.

Anyway. AC Clutch repair kits for our cars are readily available and cheap.... also full clutch/pulley replacements are also available and likewise AC compressors as a whole are readily available new, remanufactured or used... however I'd strongly recommend going to a shop to do it because they will evacuate the refrigerant and properly pull the system under vacuum and inject oil and fresh refrigerant to spec. This is important because pulling a vacuum heats up and evaporates any humidity out of the system that builds up during your replacement procedure and if not removed, that humidity will affect the performance of your system.

I bet your power steering fluid is not the pump itself but a rubber seal on it. I ended up replacing mine (by the way I have the old one still if you want it for cheap (email me at [email protected])) and the leak was not coming from the pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was going to go, Sanden; however, to rebuild the York was like $45 in parts and an afternoon. Works like a champ now, with almost no RPM loss afterward. I purchased parts for a 1980 International Harvester; they used the same compressor. They seize when overheated. Please don't use it anymore until you check for a full charge and sufficient compressor oil unless you want to buy a new compressor that everyone can found on Aircon is Not Cold - Contact Us Now to Check & Fix. It may be something else, but best to have it checked out. Maybe a condenser fan isn't working. For instance, if you run the A/C with the engine lid open, which cuts off the airflow to the rear condenser, the compressor will start binding, causing the belt to squeal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts