Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Selling my 2008 STI but not sure how much to ask for. It needs a new engine but otherwise in good condition. Has a Stage 2 package.
Long story short I ####ed up and ran it out of oil. Please spare me the "you're a retard" comments, I already know. How much does something like this go for? Dealer will only give me $500 for scrap.

·
Premium Member
6,794 Posts
Invest in a new engine and then sell it for $15-20 grand. Been there, done that. I got a used engine off of ebay, turbo included (important with oil failure it gets replaced too). Repair was a lot of money but you won't get good value for your car if you don't do it.

I'm sending you a PM with a link.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
+1 for rebuild and sell.

You might also want to check out craigslist for complete power plants for the Sti. Ive seen them mounted to 6MTs as cheap as $3k and if you have a engine jack you and a friend can knock it out in a weekend.

Otherwise your looking for a private sale and your going to take a huge hit on the value of the car.

·
Premium Member
6,794 Posts
You might also want to check out craigslist for complete power plants for the Sti. Ive seen them mounted to 6MTs as cheap as $3k and if you have a engine jack you and a friend can knock it out in a weekend.
The transmission on a pallet's worth $5,000 easy on it's own. If you saw that, something was fishy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
+1 for sell as is to me for $2000 ;)

If you are not interested I would say rebuild and keep if you enjoy it. I have never blown a motor, but I have had some hefty replacements and I have never regretted fixxing it to enjoy one last time. Trans are my enemy so I am almost an expert on trannys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and link. I am not exactly mechanically minded and just moved so I think i am going to track down a local mechanic to take a second look and possibly replace the engine.
My concern is that i am going to put a lot of time and money into fixing it and then either something else goes wrong or I am not able to get what I want on the sale. The car has 110K miles. If the any point in just posting it as is for $5-10K?

·
Premium Member
6,794 Posts
Yeah, it sucks. You just lost a lot of money from having a car you could sell easily at a decent price to one you can't sell. You can invest money in this thing that's already burned you to get it hopefully up to sellable, just at what it would have gotten before, and you still risk being right back where you are now after a huge cash outlay. If I were in your shoes and somebody offered me $5k for it, I'd probably take it. However, if somebody offered me $500 for it, I'd spend $7k fixing it and try to sell it for 15k. That's 8k for your car total... with a lot of risk on you.

That assumes you can fix it for 7k and that if you did, you could even get 15k. You have to figure out what those numbers are yourself but this is the kind of math you're talking about. Doesn't hurt you to list it as is other than announcing to anyone with a search history that your car's engine was replaced if you do that down the road. Swapping in another used engine is the lowest cost/time outlay for selling it. Obviously you'd take a pile of money for your problems with no work to fix them on your part and happily walk away. The question is how realistic it is.

Another approach is you'd have to buy a car anyway and if you like the one you got putting a second NEW engine in it isn't dissimilar. 08's not too old to put another 100k miles on the chassis, especially if you live outside the salt belt. I feel like you have some emotional baggage and wouldn't feel comfortable waiting for it to "bite you again". Cutting your losses is appealing on that front but may not be the best financial move.

Bottom line is you have a series of bad choices to choose between. If it helps, know that you're not the only one who's been in that situation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I think this is a good time to meditate with Google and a FSM and start working on those mechanic skills. It will be a challenge, but with determination it is possible. Personally I started out not wanting to do anything with cars. I didn't know what parts did what or what the difference between a 6point and 12point socket was. I didn't learn to fix stuff with confidence until I had a couple kids and could not afford to take it in for repairs. Buy the parts and fix it or just rebuild the entire motor to another level and enjoy the fact you did it. Or just part it out price by piece.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Selling my 2008 STI but not sure how much to ask for. It needs a new engine but otherwise in good condition. Has a Stage 2 package.
Long story short I ####ed up and ran it out of oil. Please spare me the "you're a retard" comments, I already know. How much does something like this go for? Dealer will only give me $500 for scrap.
idk if you've sold this car, but i'm interested

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.