Subaru WRX Forum banner

2004 Wrx Wagon ?'s

29K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  mckee.britt 
#1 ·
Well I finally bought myself a wrx wagon and want to get into building mine. First, I was wondering some small things like what is the best rpms to shift at while driving around town? How long should i let it cool down after driving it? Im new to the whole turbo-charger thing!

What would be the best oil to put in and when and what should i service when what mileage comes around? It has 63,000 on it now.

Also what would be the best things to start modifying sense it is all stock? I know people step them up to a stage two. What does that all consist of?

I am sure that most people on here know more about the car then i do, so i thought i would try and pick everyones mind and see what their input is on what i have questions about.

Thanks guys and i hope you all help me out!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Well I finally bought myself a wrx wagon and want to get into building mine. First, I was wondering some small things like what is the best rpms to shift at while driving around town? How long should i let it cool down after driving it? Im new to the whole turbo-charger thing!

What would be the best oil to put in and when and what should i service when what mileage comes around? It has 63,000 on it now.

Also what would be the best things to start modifying sense it is all stock? I know people step them up to a stage two. What does that all consist of?

Thanks guys and i hope you all help me out!

Ok let's see... there's no real best shift points for a daily driver.. that comes with learning the car and your location/terrain. To maximize mpg, you want to stay out of boost when you can. On average, a good general rpm to shift is ~3k.

A lot of people like the Shell oil, specifically the 5w40 synthetic. Some use Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and others like Castrol Syntec or Valvoline. Again depending on your type of driving and location, a 5w30/40 or 10w30 is usually the most common weight. Personally I like the Shell and tend to stay away from Mobil 1. Just my opinion. A change is recommended between 3 and 5000 miles depending on your driving habits and location.

The first best mods for your vehicle would be some type of engine management (Cobb accessport, Ecutek, Hydra, Utec, etc.), a catless up pipe, and a down pipe. This is considered "stage 2", and is an excellent start.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there's more. Some of the others can chime in with their opinions. Good luck w/everything. !Thumbs Up

#13 ·
Personal preference. It's just my opinion, but there's way too many turbo cars with spun bearings & Mobil 1 combos to be a coincidence, and I don't want to be a possible stat.. I won't get into that here though.. there are about a million threads all over multiple forums on that very subject.

#15 ·
Shell Rotella T 5-40 syn, AMSOil, and some type of oil called VR-1 that wagonracer mentioned. They contain zinc which is supposed to help rods and bearings. !Thumbs Up I use AmsOil

#19 ·
If you left your car warm up. Then I'm sure it can't be that different. The viscosity is already factored into the 5w-30 rating. Its just the Amsoil, rotella T, or VR-1 has zinc and what not in it that is said to help out some on bearings and rods.

#21 ·
Cant use someone elses that is already using it. Used, yes, if and ONLY if the AP is unmarried from the previous user. Or ship it back to Cobb, pay a price and get it reset and then use it. Just pay attention to what you are looking at or buying when it comes to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.