air to water intercooler? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 Old 07-25-2016, 05:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Hello everyone, I just finished my WAIC setup. I saw this post in doing research and wanted to share the build.

In my case it's a custom fabrication of universal components. The WAIC itself is HUGE and flows a lot of air and barely fits in the engine bay (Had to relocate hoses and bend back the tab on the firewall to make it fit).

The purpose was to do a budget build and even though it took several days of non-stop fabrication, I ended up with a rebuilt VF-39 AND the entire WAIC setup for less than the price of a half decent TMIC.

You can read a blog article about the entire build here: Turbo Upgrade and Fabrication on the WRX ? Dmitri's Gallery

Here's a couple pictures:
Engine Bay with Water to Air Intercooler

Front Mount Heat Exchanger

The final Intercooler Unit with my custom sticker and all fabrications finished

The water does not get much warmer than the outside temp and it's always cold to the touch even after repeated tuning runs. I think properly designing the system makes it well worth it.

Now to fix that damn ram intake that pulls hot air in to further improve cooling of intake air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 07-27-2016, 09:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
look good man nice work! i would love a closer of pic of how it connects to the throttle body if you dont mind

you got any plot graphs? i'm really interested in your spool rate with an intake path that short.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #18 of 22 Old 07-27-2016, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Thanks titter!

It connects via the stock silicone hose that went to the TMIC. The one difference is that the hose had soft silicone ends (they sort of wrap around the end) but because of that poor design choice I have blown the hose off the throttle body several times. I took those off the hose (they are lightly attached probably just by heat over time).

As far as spool goes, I just started tuning last night so no graphs yet. I am very baffled by the results but I managed to overboost at 18+ psi at 3200 but I think that was an anomaly. After I tune that out I suspect full boost right around or just below 3500.

That said I'm very confused because the VF39 is not behaving that much different than my old TD-04... it did at first before I tweaked boost (it took a while to spool) but now I hear it start spinning at around 2k and pulling strong right at 3500 with peak power right around 4400.

What I really wanna know is the intake air temperature versus air temperature after the unit. I've touched it after wide open pulls and it never gets any warmer (neither the intercooler or the heat exchanger.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 Old 07-27-2016, 11:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Here's a boost graph one of the last times I logged last night but I ran out of time so as you can see there's still a ton of work to do to smooth out the boost. I did manage to level out that peak to safer levels but it's still far from perfect.

My issue is that I live in the mountains and elevation changes rapidly when tuning so it's very unexpected and hard to tune for. I can overboost and then one mile down the road not hit target boost.

I'm definitely still learning to tune, but gladly with tamed boost I know it's safe since there's no knock at all. I plan on building an EWG setup with a dump tube as a last series of power mods and will pay for an opensource pro tune at that point if I still can't dial it in perfectly.
Attached Images

post #20 of 22 Old 07-27-2016, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
cool stuff man! keep us posted. we like progression. (at least i do)

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #21 of 22 Old 07-27-2016, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
One last update from me for now. I finally got around to building a cold air box for my DIY Ram Intake. I'll be posting a how-to article at some point in the near future.

Intake temps dropped like night and day. I'm very pleased with this mod making the WAIC system complete (minus the ghetto resevoir mounting system I have now).
Attached Images

post #22 of 22 Old 08-03-2016, 11:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I'm still working out the kinks in the system. I built a new RAM intake because my original (just reducing tube with a MAF cutout) was turbulent at low RPM so it was no fun parking and reversing (not to mention impossible to tune the sensor scale). The MAF was mounted too close to where the reducing section of the pipe is.

I built a new one where the tube is slightly longer and the reducing section is right at the filter. I also added two vertical plates inside (similar to stock air box) before the MAF to even out the air flow. I have fixed all the low RPM issues and was able to tune the MAF scaling without any issues.

So I'm getting the boost dialed in. It looks like I'll be having target boost at right below 3400 RPMs. One of the first road dyno runs yielded 285 WHP with just under 300 TQ (but that had the slight overboost). Obviously this number is not exact since it's not a real dyno (and I'm at weird elevations). This is also without attempting to advance timing (I will start doing that when the boost is completely dialed in).

Here's current boost. I'm slightly under at a few of the RPM cells but I'm right about to hit target with a couple more runs and since there's no wild spikes or creeps, I should be able to have turbo dynamics keep it there in all conditions.
Attached Images