air to water intercooler - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 Old 04-25-2006, 10:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

The engine technology of the vette is showstopping. It makes tons of power and torque over a very wide range, weighs just 100 lbs more than a rx7 rotary, and will last forever. Nothing compares to the new vettes in my opinion. Read about that motor, maybe you will learn something. This whole "high tech/low tech" thing stinks of honda. Last time I checked no civic was winning races with hp per liter. It really comes down to hp, torque, power curve and weight. The z06 motor or even the LS2 has all these features, and backs it up.

Back on topic, when cars making 400+ hp are using air-->water, that says something as far as daily driving efficiency and cooling capability.

Last edited by mxboy15u; 04-25-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 04-25-2006, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Send a message via AIM to six3jag
Either way the ambient air has to cool the pressurized air from the turbo. Air to water has some advantages but so does air to air.

Jacob
Almost clean wrx...
post #18 of 22 Old 04-26-2006, 07:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

subaru has already made one. this unit can from a 90 b5 legacy. i will be running tests to see what difference there is between the air/water vs. air/air stocker.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 Old 04-26-2006, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshelbys
subaru has already made one. this unit can from a 90 b5 legacy. i will be running tests to see what difference there is between the air/water vs. air/air stocker.
Well I'll be damned.....I wander why they didn't put these on the mid 90's turbo legacy's...they choose to go with out an intercooler at all..

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
post #20 of 22 Old 05-01-2006, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

this is cool stuff
post #21 of 22 Old 08-03-2016, 11:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Hey guys, this has been done, and done reliably many times. There is a wide selection of quality builds on NASOIC ranging from daily drivers (like mine) to high power applications.

The advantages are huge. The ability for water to cool off the air more efficiently with less restriction with a good core says it all. Unlike front mount or especially top mount intercoolers, WAIC systems are not susceptible to heat soak because the water provides cooling power for when the car is sitting (at a light for example). There's also less intake piping (my system has a HUGE core which is as big as can fit in the TMIC location)... so you get the performance characteristics of the favorable TMIC with the cooling capacity (better?) of FMIC.

Also, because water is more efficient at transferring heat... the front mount heat exchanger can be relatively small (key word is relatively).

Bottom line is, for me, no matter what I do, the water in the system does not heat up more than ambient temperature. In the upcoming weeks I'll be inserting a thermocouple on the throttle body side to measure charge air temperature. I'll be able to measure cooling ability but at this point tuning the car in and the power figures it makes say it all.

Here's the build article: Turbo Upgrade and Fabrication on the WRX ? Dmitri's Gallery

Here's a photo of my build (I have done more work with the intake since that photo, I built a box to pull cold air and built a new ram intake)

post #22 of 22 Old 08-03-2016, 11:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
BTW the whole build (although it took a lot of custom fabrication and labor hours, tuning and so on) cost less than either a new TMIC or FMIC and this includes a used VF-39 with a rebuild kit I put in the car.