Newbie asking stage 2 newbie questions - Subaru WRX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Newbie asking stage 2 newbie questions

Long post!

First things first, howdy folks!

I searched around some but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. So I'm going the quick route to stage 2, I already have a cobb intake and AP, so I'm jumping into turboback territory. I'm going with the nameless divorced catted setup, and since I need to protune it anyway... Should I jump headfirst into tvg deletes and an ebcs? I'm not shooting for numbers but I also have an issue with spending 500 bones every time I want to add something. Or is that encroaching too far into too much power for a stock motor, and not having the car be in check with the rest of it?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 10:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

By all means... do as many things at once as you can manage. That way you can save money on tunes as well.

TGV delete = yaaaas! It won't hurt anything, only helps power (efficiency) IMO

For the boost controller, talk to your tuner. Spend a little time chatting with the guys who do this for a living and they can give you the straight dope on what will and wont help, what order to do things in, what to do together, etc.

AFAIK you won't need a ebcs until you're well north of 450 hp (or thereabouts?)... and by then you're probably looking at FMIC, upgraded turbo, fuel system, etc.

- d4c

---------------------
2007 WRX wagon 5MT
stock (for now)
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

So I'm replying on my own thread... I got my turboback all buttoned up! But I got a base map from my tuner, flashed it, and now I'm throwing evap codes. It's only two unlike the last time it happened, but it's because of my EGR deletes. My tuner knew about them and they still popped up. No worries, I'm not bashing, but would it be safe to run the stage 1 tune to get home? And just drive it conservatively?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-28-2019, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Stay out of boost until you can get it tuned up... should be okay?

- d4c

---------------------
2007 WRX wagon 5MT
stock (for now)
post #5 of 6 Old 05-29-2019, 09:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Long reply

Agreed ebcs isn’t wholly necessary yet. Here’s my recommendations: Tires first, good tires. Then upgrade one aspect at a time and matching components that work together. If your going to upgrade intake then focus on intake components, ie CAI, turbo inlet, TGVs, phenolic spacers, TMIC/FMIC, throttle body, PCV, and AOS/catch can. Then tune. Next work on a non power components, eg. brakes - master cylinder brace, stainless steel lines, piston calipers in front and rear, upgrade rotors and pads and adjust stoplamp switch. Take some time to acclimate to upgrades and tune; adjust tune as needed. Then do exhaust - headers, up pipe, down pipe, wrap headers, blanket up pipe and turbo, turbo back, 1 step colder plugs, upgrade and insulate coils packs and boots. Tune. Bounce back and forth giving yourself and your car time to learn and adjust in between big installs. Then steering - replace power steering oring, upgrade rack or at least bushings, sway bars and endlinks F/R, steering dampener lockdown, flush system, get an alignment. Finally fuel system - upgrade fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail, ebcs and suspension and chassis - springs or if you must coil overs, power train bushings, and control arms. Stage 2 complete IMO
post #6 of 6 Old 05-29-2019, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Agreed. Have tuner fix tune