300whp on 2017/2018 WRX? -- newbie here - Subaru WRX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-10-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

300whp on 2017/2018 WRX? -- newbie here

Hey everyone,

I will be leasing a 2017/18 WRX this coming August. I'm coming from a 2010 Camaro SS, where I was pushing 500whp. Though a huge change and adjustment for me, I do have a 1 year old baby now so it will be more convenient and something I can still definitely have fun with.

My question is, is 300awhp possible w/ just bolt ons? Since it will be a lease, I don't want to do anything that can void the warranties or get me in any trouble with the lease.

If you guys wouldn't mind detailing the mods and proximal prices, as this would be my first tuner, I am in uncharted territory right now, but very excited.

Thank you in advance for the attention and help!

Sincerely,

Falcao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-10-2017, 04:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Any power modifications (in fact probably almost any modification) you put on your car will void the lease terms. You're talking about modifying your engine and then performing a tune on the car. The dealership can easily find out if your car has been flashed.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-18-2017, 01:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

Don't mod a lease

Don't do it. you are screwing yourself. Just go ahead and buy the vehicle at that point. Yeah the payment will be higher but if you want the added fun of modifying then you have to buy. I have leased many vehicles. My STi is my first bought car for a reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-20-2017, 01:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

About $3500 will get you turbo back exhaust (down pipe, mid, tails) tuner (cobb access port V3) and Cold air intake (cobb). This should get you 280-300 WHP on the Dyno. maybe a little more on the street. But i probably wouldn't be doing it to a lease.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-20-2017, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetdeal View Post
About $3500 will get you turbo back exhaust (down pipe, mid, tails) tuner (cobb access port V3) and Cold air intake (cobb). This should get you 280-300 WHP on the Dyno. maybe a little more on the street. But i probably wouldn't be doing it to a lease.
There's no way a Stage 2+ car will produce 300whp!
post #6 of 12 Old 09-25-2017, 03:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
On a leased vehicle I recommend keeping it stock, Enjoy the stock car or upgrade the lease and get an STi. You wont see any power gains from bolt on parts without and tune and if you tune the car the dealership will be able to tell that you modified the ECU even after you tune it back to stock.

I know its not what you want to hear but don't do it.

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
post #7 of 12 Old 01-01-2018, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

So I was thinking about this...maybe I'm missing something but, this is kind of a good idea....

Think about it. If you lease, chances are its for a term of two or three years --still inside warranty period. Therefore, vehicle less likely to need any repairs due to mods/flash than if it has say like 75k or 100k or more miles. Component failure less likely.

So might as well lease, do ## mods, return to factory condition at turn in, and off you go. Not stuck w long term reliability problems of mods.

Whether or not leased or owned dealer can still deny claims based on mods so that doesn't matter.

I'm thinking they check computer for flashes at turn in but there's no way to prove you did anything so not sure if in reality any penalty could be brought.

Any thoughts on any of this?
post #8 of 12 Old 01-07-2018, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Aren't you supposed to take leases in for regular service? That would require you to return it to stock every time you had to get an oil change.

06 WRX - Cobb Stage 2
post #9 of 12 Old 01-30-2018, 08:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkatz04 View Post
I'm thinking they check computer for flashes at turn in but there's no way to prove you did anything so not sure if in reality any penalty could be brought.

Any thoughts on any of this?
This isn't true. Any time you flash an ECU you leave a footprint. They CAN and WILL be able to tell.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

They cant see how many times the ECU has been flashed, they determine if its been tuned by the amount of times the car has been turned on. Everytime you flash and unflash you reset the count so if you bring in your leased car with 15k miles on it and the ECU tells them the car has only been started twice.. thats pretty fishy.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-11-2018, 10:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
@Connor2018WRX , Im not sure where you are getting that information but I have had a number of tuned vehicles and some of them have been to the dealership for non-related issues. On my 13 I had a seat that was coming apart at the seams but during their "multi point inspection" they called to ask me if I had a custom tune on the car. they told me that there were records of more than 10 reflashes on the ECU and that was way back in 2013. Either the tech could somehow identify that i had been running a stage 2 e-tune with a catted downpipe or he was bluffing to get me to admit to modding my car.

In either case the ECMs are far to smart for you to just drive the car and then reflash it and start it up a bunch of times to tell the dealership that everything is good.

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
post #12 of 12 Old 04-13-2019, 07:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks all for your replies.. . .