User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 09-14-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Been here a while, never introduced myself

Hello all,

I've been on the forums for a little bit of time but never posted in this section.

I bought a house last October in Central Washington (in the foothills of the East Cascade Slopes). I wanted an AWD car and have always dreamed of a WRX but never had the ability to get one due to costs.

I bought my first WRX last November, it's an 08 WRB (barely affording it). Having the softer year model I knew that I would be getting into some fairly extensive modifications (past stage 2) but I could not do anything because where I live I get completely snowed in in the winter time and have to snowmobile to my cabin where I choose to make a life as an artist.

First week into getting the car I threw on snow tires and went to do what it does best!

These sights are a regular occurance all winter long, and the car loved it! Even basically stock.

As soon as the snow melted enough to drive in I got to work.

Most of the work I did is completely custom, from scratch DIY style. I love learning and engineering parts myself. I have access to a TIG welder able to weld aluminum and stainless nicely and I have a CNC machine where I'm able to do light machining on aluminum so a project car that's also a reliable daily is a perfect fit for my life style.

I did the following mods this summer:
-RAM Air Intake
-CAI Box for RAM Air Intake
---Stage 1 Tune
-Full turbo-back exhaust with quad tip
-Taxtrix cable and learned to do basic tuning
-Various visual mods (blacked out tails lights, plasti-dipped rims, plasti-dipped hood scoop and ground effects)
-EBCS
---Stage 2 Tune
-VF39 Conversion
-Fabricated a custom Water to Air Intercooler system
-Anti-Lag
---Custom Tunes

Most of these modifications fall into a budget of less than $3000 not including things like hoses, bolts, paint, tools so on which probably totals more than the mods themselves.

Things I will be doing before snow comes in the next couple of months:
-EWG (likely with a through the hood exit)
-Forester struts all around to pick it up a couple of inches
-LED Headlight, Fog conversion, painting the lights (I gotta open them and reseal since humidity gets in and they are a bit milky on the inside so I'll have to clean that out anyway).
-More tuning and service/winterizing

I'm going to taper down on the power mods and work on style and other accessories next.

Glad to be here, much more laid back than NASOIC which I despise. I hope to share experience I gain myself and learn from all you guys (and gals) on here building nice cars.

-Much Love
GSMNZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-20-2016, 08:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Wow, really impressive and I can't wait to see the lifted look! Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing!

Matt
Stroked and stoked!
post #3 of 25 Old 09-20-2016, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
welcome.

Im also quite interested in the lifted WRX mods. I grabbed an inch back when I had my 13 and it was great, Adding even more would be excellent.

See you around.

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 09-20-2016, 09:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Looks awesome man!

I am very interested in your DIY Water to Air Intercooler. Could you do a write up?

05 WRX Wagon - Just a shell now
05 Legacy GT Limited
18 WRX STi
post #5 of 25 Old 09-20-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome. The struts are on their way. I should be able to put them on sometime next week.

As far as the WAIC setup, I already have a write up! Here you go!
Turbo Upgrade and Fabrication on the WRX ? Dmitri's Gallery

Maybe I'll turn that into a thread on the forum sometime.
post #6 of 25 Old 09-20-2016, 02:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yeah it would be cool see a detailed how to. Where you got the intercooler core from etc.

Artic writes some pretty amazing how to's on here. His format/layout is great for noobs an experts alike.

05 Legacy GT Limited
18 WRX STi
post #7 of 25 Old 09-20-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Thanks for the tip! For now I went through and updated the article with the parts used and their (current) prices.

Turbo Upgrade and Fabrication on the WRX ? Dmitri's Gallery
post #8 of 25 Old 09-28-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Hello all, I wanted to share a new mod. There's actually three mods I've been working on: headlights, the lift and an EWG (through hood).

I finished the headlights (for the most part), I added lift spacers (turns out Forester struts for my year from same generation only gives about an inch so I made my own spacers). Although the lift is apparent (I can actually crawl and squeeze under the car now which was not possible before) it's not as high as I wanted it to be so I'll see if I want to keep going.

I have also been working on fabricating the piping for my EWG setup. I got everything welded up and wastegate on and plumbed the vacuum lines but right now it's pointing up, not through the hood yet as I gotta make finisher bezels.

Custom headlights for you: I needed to re-seal to get condensation to stop coming in during wet season/winter.

I also needed to completely take them apart (including projectors) to modify them for LED lights for low-beams.

I also needed to disable Daytime Running Lights, and so I decided to replace them with led halos... DIY style.

Blacked out chrome:

Leds installed:

Leds behind projector lens:

Test:

I followed the headlight writeup to split/paint them on NASOIC. Basically, remove bulbs, bake at 210f for 15, take apart, keep taking apart... reverse.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-01-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
My latest mod: all DIY through the hood polished and blued EWG dump tube with modified stock up pipe and the rest of the plumbing. My first welding project for stainless tubing.

I really like this mod. It has finally allowed me to bring my boost under control and opened up some more power. Can't wait to find some time to tune it nicely.

The assembly (I ran out of heatwrap, will finish soon).

Machining the bezel on my home built CNC machine:
post #10 of 25 Old 10-03-2016, 06:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Dude seriously awesome! What home CNC machine do you have? was it one of the DIY ones?

05 Legacy GT Limited
18 WRX STi
post #11 of 25 Old 10-03-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMNZ View Post
Dude seriously awesome! What home CNC machine do you have? was it one of the DIY ones?
Thanks man, I've been designing/building cnc machines since around 2009. They started out as mdf sheets with drawer slides and evolved into my current model (which has already been through around 5 iterations) which has a water cooled high speed milling machine R8 spindle and cutting fluid mister. In the future I might add a quick tool change system and also a 4th axis (rotary table). They are not the kits you can buy, everything I do, I do from scratch (the hard way) through making lots of mistakes and steep learning curves.

Here's the latest mill before the upgraded milling spindle.

post #12 of 25 Old 10-03-2016, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yeah a buddy of mine out in Wisconsin constructed one himself for about 8k. I have been looking at what I needed to make one. His was 4ft by 8ft. I only want a small one like 3 by 3

05 Legacy GT Limited
18 WRX STi
post #13 of 25 Old 10-03-2016, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
That looks excellent.

Any plans to fill in the other 4 of those holes you drilled?

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
post #14 of 25 Old 10-03-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
That looks excellent.

Any plans to fill in the other 4 of those holes you drilled?
Thanks! All finished, I just had to use the bolts I had because the hardware store I went to didn't have any that day. I went yesterday and put them all in . I recorded a couple vids today, one is in a 1400ft tunnel, I'll be sure to post them on here soon.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-03-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMNZ View Post
Yeah a buddy of mine out in Wisconsin constructed one himself for about 8k. I have been looking at what I needed to make one. His was 4ft by 8ft. I only want a small one like 3 by 3
Get a hold of me through email or facebook and I would love to share some knowledge. Depending on what you want to do with it you could do it for a lot cheaper than 8k and better than a gantry (router) style cnc machine. Mine's that big for my art and I do a lot of sheet work, aluminum is only a secondary function.

You can find me on facebook with this email or just email me, i'm stripping it so doesn't get picked up by spambots. (ruso(at)audio-ruso.com)