Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

a little race

2K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  Nose Nuggets 
#1 ·
There was a full size truck in front of me. In front of us is a one lane turn in two lane turn out 110 degree right turn, because the turck was turn in too slow so I was right behine him, about 2 feet away when we turn in. He used the outside for the turn out so I kept the inside. then I fully throttle, but because we turn in too slow so my rpm of 2nd gear was like 2800rpm, then I depress the clutch for a little bit. And I start passing him. I was about 4000rpm and fully throttle, But he pass me again. When he was like half car in front of me, We have a easy left turn which can full throttle. So I cut into the inside and behind him. I saw he was kind of not increase speed. After that left turn is a easy right turn but he still keep in the outside( I dont know why) So I cut back to the right for the apex, When I was in the middle of the turn we are about even. I still kept the car in the inside when I exit. Because after that is a med speed left turn. Before the turn I am like one car ahead of him. In the middle of that mid speed turn my car speed is about 75mph with even throttle. When I finish the turn I was like ten car ahead.
His truck is very powerful, the sound is loud and he pass me in the straight when I was 4000rpm at 2nd gear with full throttle. Yes, I dont see any reason he can beat me in turns But I wasnt expect he have that much tourqe. which enough to smoke me. Yes, I was in the turbo lag but he did pass me. The problem is I dont know what truck was that, looks like a ford F150. The color is black.

See less See more
#3 ·
panasyncp17 said:
It could have been a lightning. Did it have side exhaust? Did you hear a blower? If it was a Lightning he could have left you ten cars back if he wanted to.

I do hear blower. And sounds like a stick shift. That turck is very powerful. Because it was night and his turck is black. So I dont know what kind of truck is that. Actually I think is the dodge hemi or somthing. But anyway f150 , silverado, 1500ram or even thundra they look similar to me if they are black at night.

#7 ·
kawaigng said:
There was a full size truck in front of me. In front of us is a one lane turn in two lane turn out 110 degree right turn, because the turck was turn in too slow so I was right behine him, about 2 feet away when we turn in. He used the outside for the turn out so I kept the inside. then I fully throttle, but because we turn in too slow so my rpm of 2nd gear was like 2800rpm, then I depress the clutch for a little bit. And I start passing him. I was about 4000rpm and fully throttle, But he pass me again. When he was like half car in front of me, We have a easy left turn which can full throttle. So I cut into the inside and behind him. I saw he was kind of not increase speed. After that left turn is a easy right turn but he still keep in the outside( I dont know why) So I cut back to the right for the apex, When I was in the middle of the turn we are about even. I still kept the car in the inside when I exit. Because after that is a med speed left turn. Before the turn I am like one car ahead of him. In the middle of that mid speed turn my car speed is about 75mph with even throttle. When I finish the turn I was like ten car ahead.
His truck is very powerful, the sound is loud and he pass me in the straight when I was 4000rpm at 2nd gear with full throttle. Yes, I dont see any reason he can beat me in turns But I wasnt expect he have that much tourqe. which enough to smoke me. Yes, I was in the turbo lag but he did pass me. The problem is I dont know what truck was that, looks like a ford F150. The color is black.

sounds like a neat little race

im curious,
"we turn in too slow so my rpm of 2nd gear was like 2800rpm, then I depress the clutch for a little bit. And I start passing him."

i could just be reading it wrong but, how do you accelerate with the clutch in?

#13 ·
its posible

i would suggest at least TRYING to downshift into first when your casually driving around town. when you come to a stop sign, dont go down to second, then emediatly to nutral.

i have noticed, that its much harder to single clutch downshift to first in this gearbox. clutch out in nutral with a BIG blip of the throttle and it goes into first smooth as butter.

note the BIG blip, you need substantially more throttle for a smooth shift into first as aposed to the rather meeger blip required for a 3rd to 2nd downshift.

#14 ·
Nose Nuggets said:
its posible

i would suggest at least TRYING to downshift into first when your casually driving around town. when you come to a stop sign, dont go down to second, then emediatly to nutral.

i have noticed, that its much harder to single clutch downshift to first in this gearbox. clutch out in nutral with a BIG blip of the throttle and it goes into first smooth as butter.

note the BIG blip, you need substantially more throttle for a smooth shift into first as aposed to the rather meeger blip required for a 3rd to 2nd downshift.

Yeah, because there has a big different ratio between the 1st and 2nd gear ratio. We have to blip much more throttle when we shift to the 1st. When the 2nd at 2500rpm the first is like 4600rpm. Single clutch is almost impossible to down shift to the frist gear when the car is over 15mph.

#15 ·
kawaigng said:
Stock wrx is slow if you are racing with a viper.
About any WRX or STi I've ever read about is going to be slow against a Viper. About the only chance you'd have is if it's a winding low grip road, you're a (much!) better driver and the Viper driver can't manage his incredible hp and torque advantage... and he's scared of folding up his car more than you. :D

The car is only part of the package, IMO. There's a reason Senna beat far superior machinery with his Lotus in the rain in Estoril many moons ago: he was "Magic". :cool:

#16 ·
kawaigng said:
Yeah, because there has a big different ratio between the 1st and 2nd gear ratio. We have to blip much more throttle when we shift to the 1st. When the 2nd at 2500rpm the first is like 4600rpm. Single clutch is almost impossible to down shift to the frist gear when the car is over 15mph.

exactly

About any WRX or STi I've ever read about is going to be slow against a Viper. About the only chance you'd have is if it's a winding low grip road, you're a (much!) better driver and the Viper driver can't manage his incredible hp and torque advantage... and he's scared of folding up his car more than you.

The car is only part of the package, IMO. There's a reason Senna beat far superior machinery with his Lotus in the rain in Estoril many moons ago: he was "Magic".
senna in the rain is orgasmic

#19 ·
Elvis fans have nothing on me

kawaigng said:
Are you guys talking about Ayrton Senna Who used to be the best F1 racer. Do you folks know how was his accident happen?
I say he's still around. He just watches the races from a higher place in the stands now.

If you can get your hands on a tape of the 1984 Nürburgring Celebrity touring car race, where he drove against Prost, Lauda and other top notch drivers of the day and handed them their @$$es, grab it and burn it on DVD. And if you find it, please let me know cause I've been searching for a copy for years. I've seen glimpses and that race shows race craft as well as any I've seen over the years.

IMO, Ayrton Senna da Silva's book, The Principles of Race Driving is a great read, whether you're a weekend warrior or want to take it pro. Kawaigng, you really seem to be into road course driving principles. Look for this book on Ebay or Amazon. I promise you, you'll really like it.

#20 ·
Jag_Warrior said:
I say he's still around. He just watches the races from a higher place in the stands now.

If you can get your hands on a tape of the 1984 Nürburgring Celebrity touring car race, where he drove against Prost, Lauda and other top notch drivers of the day and handed them their @$$es, grab it and burn it on DVD. And if you find it, please let me know cause I've been searching for a copy for years. I've seen glimpses and that race shows race craft as well as any I've seen over the years.

IMO, Ayrton Senna da Silva's book, The Principles of Race Driving is a great read, whether you're a weekend warrior or want to take it pro. Kawaigng, you really seem to be into road course driving principles. Look for this book on Ebay or Amazon. I promise you, you'll really like it.

THX, I will look for that book. 1984 Nurburgring Celebrity touring car race, Were they race in the F1 course or that huge 20.832KM course.

#21 ·
Jag_Warrior said:

Wow that book is expensive, $139 on ebay and $169 retail.

#22 ·
You're kidding!

kawaigng said:
Wow that book is expensive, $139 on ebay and $169 retail.
I bought mine about 10 years ago and I know it couldn't have been more than $30 or so then. I mean it's softcover! That's criminal. If I had a second copy, I'd gladly sell it to you for a LOT less than $150. I sure wouldn't try to rob anybody trying to learn more about Senna and his advice on race craft.

And on the 1984 Nurburgring touring car race, it was on the short/modern course. I believe the long course had been out of race use for several years by that time.

If you're a fan of the old grand prix courses (and cars), check out the movie Grand Prix, if you haven't already seen it. It's only on VHS but I know it's not crazy expensive. Great classic movie from the '60's.

#23 ·
i havent seen that book before, ill go pick it up.

another excelent book about the fundamentales and physics behind driving a race car is

Going Faster!: Mastering the Art of Race Driving
Carl Lopez, Foreword by Danny Sullivan

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=gdba&subject=23

it breakes it all down, with ilistrations and the whole bit. its the book we used to instruct at Skip Barber Racing School.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.