Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Civic...

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Bullit 
#1 ·
-DISCLAIMER- If you only viewed this thread to stomp on another WRX owner's good experience based on the title, please DO NOT continue reading.

This story begins at around 8pm this friday last. I was invited to a dinner with my girlfriend, her father, and a few family friends; We went to Red Lobster. My girlfriends father, let's call him "Daron", and Daron's friend... I don't know, let's call him... "Dave"... were having a light discussion about the condition of "Daron's" Turbo Civic.
Well, without going in to great detail on the problem itself, "I" learned quite a bit on the inner workings of the motors.
This part of the story is relevant not only because I scored "intelligent points" with my girlfriends Dad, but it got me into the "motoring mood".
After that dinner party, I went home to a boring couple of hours watching Comedy Central... then I made a decision. Why not go out to the street races to see what's going on.
Instead of trying all of your patience's, I'll skip most of this part; All i'll say is that CRX's w a donut tire and black smoke SPEWING out of the exhaust does not impress me... well, anyone.
After an hour or so of that, I thought of a better idea... A MUCH better idea. I should go Mt. Lemmon. For those of you who are not familiar (which is most if not all) Mt. Lemmon is the "little known secret" of REAL car enthusiasts. (I say that because of all the 17 sec 1/4mile CRX's out there w donut tires..) It has bends and curves that make almost ANYONE's mouth wet.
As I made my way up I saw a few Miata's and a 300zx on the side of the road. By this time it was nearly 1am... pitch black up there.. every once in a while you could see the lights of Tucson over the mountain side.... Gorgeous.
After about a half an hour of "spirited" 45-55 mph hairpins and s-curves I saw another car coming down.. Mind you (all) it's 130am.. all the owners of the houses up there were "well to do 'can't stay up past 10pm' types".
I did my best to see what it was... Through the brights I saw what made out to be a Civic (99-00) and through those lights I saw a body kit; one would only ask "one's self" "is this another 'spirited driver'?"
I quickly sprang around after he'd passed and began my hunt. (For those of you that think this is an "unfair fight", I'll grant you.. maybe it is.. but I gave him a few seconds.. )
After, oh i'll say, 8 turns, I saw his brake lights (you get going pretty quick downhill) and knew it was on. I think he knew I had turned around because I could hear his RPM pick up suddenly. Oooooh, it was on.
I'll give him this, he's not that bad at cornering.. I did hear a bit of a screech on one of the turns that wasn't me, but hey.. he tried.
After a mile or two, I saw a chance.. an opening.. a light s-curve that mocked as a straighaway. I took the chance. Passed him going around 85 (not my record on that mountain, but i'll take it) but right before I did I noticed the badge on the back of his car... Si.. also I noticed the Skunk2 Race exhaust mounted underneath his neatly painted bodykit.
After I passed him it almost seemed like he gave up... he kept getting further and further back.. and when his lights weren't there anymore in my rear veiw, I started my "spirited" driving again.
Only going around 50mph around the turns.. just hangin' out.
At the bottom of the mountain I felt somewhat alone. It was almost 2am at this point, and I hadn't seen headlights in 20 minutes or so. so..
I stopped. There's a long road at the bottom of the mountain.. maybe 5 miles or so. I stopped dead in my tracks with the hazards on and waited. I thought maybe I'd stop the guy and see what he'd done to his Civic Si (I used to have one.. :) )
No lie, over 30seconds of me waiting had passed and then I saw his lights. FINALLY!
I started up, left the hazards on so he'd just KNOW it was me, and cruised at the speed limit. By the time the road ended, he'd caught up. ( I know he was just cruising)
We both turned the same way at the stop light... I guess he wanted to make me feel bad, so he floored it, passed on a double yellow and slowed down about 6 car lengths ahead of me.
This next part is the only reason I wanted to post this story.. the rest is mostly background..
The stop sign.. with the mountain Civic.
This is one of the classic 2 lane country roads with the little "left turn extensions" at a 4 way stop... in the middle of the Arizona desert.
He only had to rev once and I knew it was time to see my Suby perform...again.
Before I even got up to the line he had tried to take off!.. I WATCHED his front left wheel spin wildly shooting rocks out behind him.. I smiled.
To tell you (all) the truth, I didn't think it would be this bad..
I reved to about 4000 and feathered (while rolling at my 2 mph) and just took off like a bat out of hell!!! When I yelled "yeeeeah" at him ( i know.. childish) as i passed, I couldn't even get the whole word out before my car had completely blown by!!
I had really thought he'd be a sport about it, regardless of handicap.. but i guess it proves my thoughts.. that I'm glad I'm not a Honda owner anymore. Ha!
Thanks for sticking with my story. It was mostly necessary. I hope it was 1/2 as much fun for you as the event was for me.
It took me 45 minutes to document this story... AIM is a hassle.
Thanks again.
Jeff !Thumbs Up

See less See more
#4 ·
Here ya go Chad:

This next part is the only reason I wanted to post this story.. the rest is mostly background..
The stop sign.. with the mountain Civic.
This is one of the classic 2 lane country roads with the little "left turn extensions" at a 4 way stop... in the middle of the Arizona desert.
He only had to rev once and I knew it was time to see my Suby perform...again.
Before I even got up to the line he had tried to take off!.. I WATCHED his front left wheel spin wildly shooting rocks out behind him.. I smiled.
To tell you (all) the truth, I didn't think it would be this bad..
I reved to about 4000 and feathered (while rolling at my 2 mph) and just took off like a bat out of hell!!! When I yelled "yeeeeah" at him ( i know.. childish) as i passed, I couldn't even get the whole word out before my car had completely blown by!!
I had really thought he'd be a sport about it, regardless of handicap.. but i guess it proves my thoughts.. that I'm glad I'm not a Honda owner anymore. Ha!
Thanks for sticking with my story. It was mostly necessary. I hope it was 1/2 as much fun for you as the event was for me.
It took me 45 minutes to document this story... AIM is a hassle.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.