Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   New England WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f99/)
-   -   Help reflasing ECU Sunday? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f99/help-reflasing-ecu-sunday-33035/)

Cory51191 09-19-2012 07:03 AM

Help reflasing ECU Sunday?

I live in Fitchburg. I just brought my baby home last night. It is my first car and I'm honered to say its an 02 WRX. I don't have any software and have to replace my turbo (doing it Sunday with OEM part). I was wondering if someone could help me out by bringing software and experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

pzr2874 09-19-2012 08:24 AM

Not many on here utilize OpenSource and Romraider.

Are you not wanting to get a COBB AP?

Cory51191 09-19-2012 09:14 AM

[quote=pzr2874;285672]Not many on here utilize OpenSource and Romraider.

Are you not wanting to get a COBB AP?[/quote]

I do want to get it eventually. Probably a week from now when I get my tax return. If I don't flash my ECU after a turbo replacement, will it have bad/perminant effects on the engine or anything?

Edit: "/perminant"

Cory51191 09-19-2012 09:30 AM

It's running on 6psi

pzr2874 09-19-2012 10:29 AM

Ok, so your old turbo is aa td04?

And the new one will be a td04 as well?

If so, no need to flash anything if nothing is being changed other than the turbo.

Not to sound like a douche, but what else is this turbo doing that makes you think it needs to be replaced? Have you taken it out and looked at the turbo? Or is it smoking ? Cracked/broken blades?

Cory51191 09-19-2012 11:05 AM

Getting an engine code for it and the seller said its bad. When I take it out I'll chek it out. Possibly port it. The seller is providing the new turbo anyways so it's not effecting my pocket.

Below is what the receipt says, verbatium.

Code: P0245
Definition
Turbo/Super charger wastegate solenoid "A" low
Probable cause
1. - Open or short circuit condition
2. - Poor electrical connection
3. - Faulty wastegate solenoid

Cory51191 09-19-2012 11:07 AM

He also made a ghetto gasket between the downpipe and the hot side that looks like some sort of red cocking.

Edit: He has an MBC on it too. Doesn't look familiar so maybe it was an eBay one and it's shot now? I do have an AEM TruBoost that I am going to install as well.

BoostinChick 09-19-2012 12:23 PM

Just so you realize that the CEL could be because he has the boost controller solenoid unplugged since he has a MBC. If that code is not disabled in the ECU, then you will get a code for it. 6-7 psi is waste gate pressure. This does not necessarily mean the turbo is shot/bad it means that you have a boost leak post MAF. A bad turbo usually consumes an absorbent amount of oil (because it burns it when the seals go bad), sounds like a dentist's drill, or you get no boost at all. You can easily check for shaft play on the turbine wheel, you shouldn't have much in/out movement. Side to side is fairly common.

What else is done to the vehicle? IMHO, I would ditch the AEM Tru Boost and get something that is actually plug n' play (GrimmSpeed for example). Replacing a stock turbo with another stock turbo will not do anything negative or affect the ECU. Technically, a turbo upgrade wouldn't even affect the ECU if you are running the same amount of boost/fuel. You need the tune to actually take advantage of the mods and up the fuel, timing, boost, etc.

Cory51191 09-19-2012 12:45 PM

Only performance mods are a Tsudo muffler, cold air intake and the MBC. I'm gonna keep the TruBoost and also get a COBB AP when I get my tax return.

If it is post MAF, It probably has to do with that garbage he used as a gasket. I need to order a new one. I'll remove the inlet pipe when I get home and check for shaft play.

How about running a 10k ohm @ 0.5w resistor? Any experience with that?

BoostinChick 09-19-2012 01:21 PM

I use a Tactrix cable...love it and 1/5 the price of the COBB AP. Most guys on here use the AP though for ease of use. Could be the garbage he used as a gasket, a boost leak, a few other things...

As for the resistor, I never researched since I just disabled the code.

pzr2874 09-19-2012 01:29 PM

Take the MBC off for sure. As Sandra stated. Turbo may still be good. How many miles are on the car?

Cory51191 09-19-2012 01:34 PM

[quote=pzr2874;285686]Take the MBC off for sure. As Sandra stated. Turbo may still be good. How many miles are on the car?[/quote]

Just short of 94k on the body and motor. 4k on transmission.
Picked it up for $5,100 :D

psinuse 09-19-2012 02:20 PM

[quote=pzr2874;285672]Not many on here utilize OpenSource and Romraider.

Are you not wanting to get a COBB AP?[/quote]

Sadly your right, but I do and might be able to help. First take the MBC off and reconnect the stock boost controller, don't bother with the AEM either. Once we eliminate your CEL then we can work on reflashing stuff.

Cory51191 09-19-2012 02:31 PM

[quote=psinuse;285691]Sadly your right, but I do and might be able to help. First take the MBC off and reconnect the stock boost controller, don't bother with the AEM either. Once we eliminate your CEL then we can work on reflashing stuff.[/quote]

You guys are right, the MBC is pointless considering I don't plan on running more than stock boost for a while (13.5 correct?). I'll take that off tonight when I get home.

Anyone have a diagram of where the lines should actually be??

Cory51191 09-19-2012 02:39 PM

I'm also going to pick up a new gasket for between the DP and hot side. I called North End Subaru and they said they have plenty in stock :D