Subaru WRX Forum banner

Has anyone had a Secondary Air Pump/Valve replaced?

19K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  FreeDiRo 
#1 ·
So, my 2006 WRX TR wit only 48,000 miles just gave me the dreaded CEL and codes P2442 and P1410 and my system is seized open unfortunately, so I am also scared to drive it much before I take car of this.

Long story short, Timmons Subaru of Long Beach wants $2100 for this repair and of course I told them they had to be out of their minds. Even with the cost of all parts that leaves almost 9-10 hours of labor and from what I read this should take 3-4 hours at the very max!

So, my dilemma is do I find a local/independent shop, that I can trust with my car in the future, and have them just rip out the system put on the block plates and jut have the ECU re-flashed? Or do I just try to get these replacement parts myself and have someone install them for me?

I contacted SOA to see if they could help me out any way possible, but I was hoping someone had experience with this at any local performance shop around the Los Angles area.

Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
I have zero engine management, but I wanted an Cobb AP at some point and would rather spend my money on the block off plates and a AP if that will keep my vehicle running and still able to do other minor engine mods down the line.

I guess I am just a little reluctant to rip out the system if it was designed to be there. However, I do live in SOCAL so I don't have very many super cold days and I can garage the car during those cold days.

#4 ·
IAG Performance also makes TGV deletes and block-off plates (I have both on my 07 WRX). I'm pretty sure you need some type of engine management to disable the CELs that pop up though, so now would probably be a good time to start looking into that as well as finding a local, reputable tuner. I'd recommend one, but I'm on the wrong coast. This will be my first winter without the system, so I'll let you know how the car acts in the cold. I was told it won't be a problem.

#5 ·
Yeah, knowing back east well, I could imagine there being many cold winters you could worry about starting her up. I have found a few shops locally, just need to give them a call or step inside and get a real feel for their operation.

Anyone have a rough idea how much ripping the system, installing the block off plates and having a COBB AP setup(I know the unite is something like $550) would roughly cost me?

#6 ·
Every shop will be different. No need to rip anything out really. Just capping the pump off and then disable the code in ATR. Maybe $150 for a shop to do it, but you can do it yourself once you get the AP.

#8 ·
That's a nice offer by SOA, but I'd also vote to do it yourself. It's not a terribly complicated job since everything is on top of the engine. Physically removing the air pump cleans up the engine bay a bit and saves a miniscule amount of weight too. You could install a 3 mm phenolic spacer with two gaskets while you're in there too. Just something to think about ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.