Fast as Hell STI - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 05-13-2008, 09:08 PM
WRXpert
 
LiL Shoaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,810
Images: 2
LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
This



No doubt. im not saying a monkey could get behind the wheel at do 9s 1/4 @ 150mph. but there is far LESS skill involved then doing fast consistent laps on a road course.

and a monkey could drag 90% of the cars you see at the track. just not this wrx, the gt40 you described, funny cars, ect ect.


That GT40 was Rediculous. I agree that there is a lot more involved in road course and rally and to be honest I wish I knew as much as you do about it all but I don't, I think my WRX would run good in Time Atacks and such... With both types of events consistancy is key and not the easiest thing to achieve..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
LiL Shoaf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#17 Old 05-13-2008, 11:34 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Nose Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,157
Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
dude, shoaf. if there is one thing i have gathered about you from your posts and car is that you are a very if not extremely intelligent guy. you could know so much more then i do about vehicle dynamics and race car diving in such a short amount of time if you wanted too. you just need to spend a little money (driving school) and accept that you dont know as much as a good instructor.

after that the rest is seat time.

but hey, we all seems to be consumed by this false assumption that we need to spend 80% of every day working and are forced to divide the left over scraps among things we need to do and things we want to do. that being the case it all comes down to the priority.
Nose Nuggets is offline  
#18 Old 05-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Moderator
 
mosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,489
Images: 7
mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
heh, NN's really turning over a new leaf these days!

I'd love to see that beast of yours go through some twisties as well though. I think that's what is the underlying theme here.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
mosc is online now  
#19 Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Nose Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,157
Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
*edited*

Last edited by mosc; 05-14-2008 at 01:51 AM. Reason: LOL
Nose Nuggets is offline  
#20 Old 05-14-2008, 01:30 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,245
WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
I don't think its the fastest STi in the world...

I sense some tension in this thread.

If you put a amature driver in a prostock dragster he can run fast times all day, now put an amature in the AMS time attack evo and there is no way they could even come close to a quick lap. Im not saying drag racing is easy by any means, but IMO road racing/autoX is much harder.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
WRXKidid775 is offline  
#21 Old 05-14-2008, 08:18 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
BC_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 117
BC_Girl is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
This



No doubt. im not saying a monkey could get behind the wheel at do 9s 1/4 @ 150mph. but there is far LESS skill involved then doing fast consistent laps on a road course.

and a monkey could drag 90% of the cars you see at the track. just not this wrx, the gt40 you described, funny cars, ect ect.
It's all about what floats your boat...regardless of if you like to drive strait or not, if it makes you feel good DO IT! This is a debate with no right or wrong answers.
This monkey likes to go fast. You say it takes more skill to do rally, well I think it takes just as much skill to launch and shift during a drag race. Don't get ME wrong, if there were a rally track around my area I would give it a try for sure, but there's not so....deal dude. You have your likes and we have ours

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !
BC_Girl is offline  
#22 Old 05-14-2008, 11:27 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Nose Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,157
Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Girl View Post
It's all about what floats your boat...regardless of if you like to drive strait or not, if it makes you feel good DO IT! This is a debate with no right or wrong answers.
This monkey likes to go fast. You say it takes more skill to do rally, well I think it takes just as much skill to launch and shift during a drag race. Don't get ME wrong, if there were a rally track around my area I would give it a try for sure, but there's not so....deal dude. You have your likes and we have ours
its fine to have an opinion about whats fun or not fun. and your right, its totally subjective. but i wasn't really touching on weather drag racing is fun or not. in regards to skill you can think what ever you want. but if you think launching and shifting in a drag race requires anywhere near the same skill as circuit/rally, you would be wrong - for the simple fact that almost every other form of racing included launching, shifting, and maximum acceleration in a straight line.
Nose Nuggets is offline  
#23 Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
SuBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 731
Images: 3
SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
I can agree with the launching taking skill, most people just rev up their cars and dump the clutch. A really good launch takes some skill to perform, but shifting is like, the easiest thing to do. Kick your foot into the clutch and change gears... Like, i taught my brother how to perform the Ultimate drag launch a couple months ago. (which i learned by researching launching techniques for the WRX) Basically, you just rev up the engine to whatever rpms (depneds on the car) and then pull the clutch out slowly until you feel it engaging and then just release the clutch when it's time to go. So it's not throwing the full load all at once onto the clutch and tranny, it may burn the clutch a little, but it's worth it. I'm not trying to argue against drag racing either, in fact i like drag racing, but when i finally get my WRX, i'm eventually going to build it up for autocross...

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
SuBeast is offline  
#24 Old 05-16-2008, 08:33 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
BC_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 117
BC_Girl is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
its fine to have an opinion about whats fun or not fun. and your right, its totally subjective. but i wasn't really touching on weather drag racing is fun or not. in regards to skill you can think what ever you want. but if you think launching and shifting in a drag race requires anywhere near the same skill as circuit/rally, you would be wrong - for the simple fact that almost every other form of racing included launching, shifting, and maximum acceleration in a straight line.
OK Nuggets....I didn't mean to offend you. I really have no idea what kind of skill it takes to do rally/auto cross becuase I have never had the opportunity. The only point that I intended to make was that not just any 'monkey' can drag race, it does take skill, and I'm damn proud of the fact that I can do it. Not many girls my age can even drive a manual. OK, now I've said my peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBeast View Post
I can agree with the launching taking skill, most people just rev up their cars and dump the clutch. A really good launch takes some skill to perform, but shifting is like, the easiest thing to do. Kick your foot into the clutch and change gears... Like, i taught my brother how to perform the Ultimate drag launch a couple months ago. (which i learned by researching launching techniques for the WRX) Basically, you just rev up the engine to whatever rpms (depneds on the car) and then pull the clutch out slowly until you feel it engaging and then just release the clutch when it's time to go. So it's not throwing the full load all at once onto the clutch and tranny, it may burn the clutch a little, but it's worth it. I'm not trying to argue against drag racing either, in fact i like drag racing, but when i finally get my WRX, i'm eventually going to build it up for autocross...
Shifting during every day driving does not take any skill, I agree. However, shifting fast and not missing a gear when your nerves are maxed out does, for me anyways. That's something that I am continuing to improve on. I usually don't miss a gear, but I shift too slow and I am losing time because of it.

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !

Last edited by mosc; 05-16-2008 at 01:48 PM.
BC_Girl is offline  
#25 Old 05-16-2008, 08:35 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
BC_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 117
BC_Girl is an unknown
I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post!

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !

Last edited by mosc; 05-16-2008 at 01:48 PM.
BC_Girl is offline  
#26 Old 05-16-2008, 10:35 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Nose Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,157
Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Girl View Post
OK Nuggets....I didn't mean to offend you. I really have no idea what kind of skill it takes to do rally/auto cross becuase I have never had the opportunity. The only point that I intended to make was that not just any 'monkey' can drag race, it does take skill, and I'm damn proud of the fact that I can do it. Not many girls my age can even drive a manual. OK, now I've said my peace.
you didn't offend me, im just speaking my mind. and in my defense, i didn't say any monkey could drag any car. i said a monkey can drag MOST of the cars you see at the strip on open nights. im glad you enjoy motor sports, im glad you drive a stick, i would highly suggest you invest a little time and money in getting out on a track in some kind of class.
Nose Nuggets is offline  
#27 Old 05-16-2008, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
SuBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 731
Images: 3
SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Girl View Post
However, shifting fast and not missing a gear when your nerves are maxed out does, for me anyways. That's something that I am continuing to improve on. I usually don't miss a gear, but I shift too slow and I am losing time because of it.
Me too, my first night i went racing around in my Jetta, i was flawless in my shifting, even in my 2nd - 3rd, and then I said something to my friends about how i have yet to misshift, and now i can't shift fast 2nd - 3rd WITHOUT misshifting I always shift hecka slow to third geard because i'd rather shift slowly then keep on missing gears....

wink wink, nudge nudge, I am not an idiot. Don't test me. Street racing discussions are not permitted here
-mosc

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily

Last edited by mosc; 05-18-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Street racing
SuBeast is offline  
#28 Old 05-17-2008, 07:49 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
BC_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 117
BC_Girl is an unknown
You're thinking about it too much. That's what I was told. "Just shift like you would if you were driving normal, but do it fast." Practice shifting fast when your just driving, you just don't have to max it out to redline.

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !
BC_Girl is offline  
#29 Old 05-17-2008, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 66
dak287 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBeast View Post
Me too, my first night i went racing around in my Jetta, i was flawless in my shifting, even in my 2nd - 3rd, and then I said something to my friends about how i have yet to misshift, and now i can't shift fast 2nd - 3rd WITHOUT misshifting I always shift hecka slow to third geard because i'd rather shift slowly then keep on missing gears....

wink wink, nudge nudge, I am not an idiot. Don't test me. Street racing discussions are not permitted here
yeah missing third sucks maybe thats why subaru makes it so hard to get into 1st over 15 mph !Laugh!
dak287 is offline  
#30 Old 05-14-2009, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 75
Abismo is an unknown
love watching the big valley vids.


who cares about straight line vs road course etc.... listen to that SOUND. I want that for my ring tone haha.

we all have our preferred flavors. Ill enjoy a high hp car just as much as i would a technical road racer.

one of his other vids.
Abismo is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On