is your car modded? read me (NOW!) - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-09-2004, 01:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
is your car modded? read me (NOW!)

ok, if you have a car that has been modified and it is putting out more power then stock (and its not hard to do ) it is general COMMON SENSE that you have voided your warranty.

i am about getting tired of reading threads from everyone bittching about getting denied warranty work, cause their car was modded or been driven hard....

at least you dont have the manufacturer at the track watching you race (see Mitsubishi )

use some common sense in your modifications, and drive it responsibly....and take it like a man if you grenade your tranny at the dragstrip while trying to shave that last tenth off your 60' times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2004, 07:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
and BTW...the Magnsson-Moss act is for aftermarket STOCK REPLACEMENT PARTS. not performance parts. if you are making more power then the car was designed for, expect to have a nice black flag thrown on your ass..
#3 Old 08-13-2004, 06:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

gslamhead is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to gslamhead
What about stereo work?

I have been told many different things from many different sources so I would like to know the truth. I purchased my '03 rex last January, and I got the 7 year extended warranty, but I kept in the back of my mind it would have to be voided at some point before then. My first desire for modification is one of the cheapest and least intrusive ways of modding my car, an alpine stereo. I installed a very similar model to what I have last year on my friends Subaru wagon, and was wondering what is needed to either leave the warranty valid or to only void a portion of it, the electrical work. The later is what my dealership told me, depending on the type of work done.
#4 Old 08-13-2004, 08:03 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
If the malfunction was caused due to an aftermarket modification you made, then that part is voided. Its that simple
#5 Old 08-13-2004, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

gslamhead is an unknown
so your saying that only the electrical or stereo system's warranty would be voided or the entire warranty
#6 Old 08-13-2004, 10:08 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
If ANYTHING malfunctioned because of what you did installing the stereo, then warranty will not cover it. Say if your turbo blows, they can't blame it on your stereo unless you did something that would've caused the turbo to blow.
#7 Old 08-14-2004, 01:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

gslamhead is an unknown
Only if something goes wrong correct? So lets say I do a clean and flawless installation of this head unit, nothing goes wrong and everything works as it should, my warranty is still good?
#8 Old 08-14-2004, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

yergi is an unknown
Now see here's the deal. ALOT (not all) of these techs are lazy ass bumbs. If you have fuses blowing in a related system, a crappy tech might just look at it and say "oh it's your stereo install blowing fuses. Sorry, can't help ya" without even inspecting the problem. This is a very common problem with subaru, apparently.
(not the problem with the head unit, just using that as an example)
Not trying to scare you from modding, just be aware that they pull crap like this on a daily basis.
#9 Old 08-14-2004, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
gslamhead.... I'll answer that question.

Yes, only the electrical system IS VOIDED. If you only modded the stereo, ALL the electrical system warranty is voided. Now, whether or not you will recieve service for your electrical system in case something blows depends on the dealer and the source of the blow. In the case the stereo created a nuclear magnetic field that made the turbo overboost and blow the pistons AND it can be proven, the motor warranty is voided as well (basically all warranty). Hope I anwered your question.
#10 Old 08-15-2004, 11:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

ACiD is an unknown
My warranty can't get voided. My best freinds grandparents own the subie dealership, from where i bought my car from!

[COLOR=Red]No Excuses Racing [/COLOR]
Closed Thread