Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

is your car modded? read me (NOW!)

28K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ACiD 
#1 ·
ok, if you have a car that has been modified and it is putting out more power then stock (and its not hard to do ) it is general COMMON SENSE that you have voided your warranty.

i am about getting tired of reading threads from everyone bittching about getting denied warranty work, cause their car was modded or been driven hard....

at least you dont have the manufacturer at the track watching you race (see Mitsubishi :p)

use some common sense in your modifications, and drive it responsibly....and take it like a man if you grenade your tranny at the dragstrip while trying to shave that last tenth off your 60' times :D

#3 ·
What about stereo work?

I have been told many different things from many different sources so I would like to know the truth. I purchased my '03 rex last January, and I got the 7 year extended warranty, but I kept in the back of my mind it would have to be voided at some point before then. My first desire for modification is one of the cheapest and least intrusive ways of modding my car, an alpine stereo. I installed a very similar model to what I have last year on my friends Subaru wagon, and was wondering what is needed to either leave the warranty valid or to only void a portion of it, the electrical work. The later is what my dealership told me, depending on the type of work done.

#8 ·
Now see here's the deal. ALOT (not all) of these techs are lazy ass bumbs. If you have fuses blowing in a related system, a crappy tech might just look at it and say "oh it's your stereo install blowing fuses. Sorry, can't help ya" without even inspecting the problem. This is a very common problem with subaru, apparently.
(not the problem with the head unit, just using that as an example)
Not trying to scare you from modding, just be aware that they pull crap like this on a daily basis.

#9 ·
gslamhead.... I'll answer that question.

Yes, only the electrical system IS VOIDED. If you only modded the stereo, ALL the electrical system warranty is voided. Now, whether or not you will recieve service for your electrical system in case something blows depends on the dealer and the source of the blow. In the case the stereo created a nuclear magnetic field that made the turbo overboost and blow the pistons AND it can be proven, the motor warranty is voided as well (basically all warranty). Hope I anwered your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.